Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 2:15:00 PM EDT
Hello
Im Rebuilding one of my ARs and the FF forearm looks like it ismilled  all one piece with the Barrel nut, Ive not come across this before and Ive tried removing it with a strap wrench without success. I thought about loosening it up with a little heat, but of course dont want to warp anything- any suggestions
thanks
Bob

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
How about a picture of the tube.  What MFG is the upper?
Did you take the gas block/FSB off?
Much more info is needed here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a DPMS Upper, gas block and tube have been removed. I will see about a pic I haven't done that before either
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Cant seem to get pics to load
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the pics

Regarding heat, the AR makes a lot of it.  I've never pulled a dpms forearm before, but i'd imagine the tube might be glued on.

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=351624
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a threaded section about two inches from the rear of the tube(receiver end)  Unscrew this portion, the remaining two inches is the barrel nut.   Use your armorers wrench to take it off.  You may have to heat the forward portion of the tube to take remove it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks LMT Rocks for help with the Pics. Im going to work on it some more
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is a threaded section about two inches from the rear of the tube(receiver end)  Unscrew this portion, the remaining two inches is the barrel nut.   Use your armorers wrench to take it off.  You may have to heat the forward portion of the tube to take remove it.

Does not look like a 2-piece tube in the OP's pics. Most DPMS FF Tubes are 1-piece.   It is aluminum, so use heat from a high-output heat gun or a propane torch in the receiver area of the tube, then use your strap wrench to break it loose.  If you don't care to save the FF tube then just use a big-ass pipe wrench.  Be sure and properly support the upper receiver when loosening the 1-piece tube so as not to distort or damage your receiver.  Also, be sure to remove the gas tube before attempting to loosen the handguard tube.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Russ4777, Yep Its definitely not a 2 piece, I will work on it this weekend
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Got it broke loose without any damage -thanks for the input
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top