Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2011 5:41:57 PM EDT
I was wondering what yall think about the Delton Ar-15 kits?

I am specifically interested in this one, It is my first build so I want to take one bite at a time. I am not looking at a super accurate match rifle, just something to shoot at the range with.

http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt103.htm
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a Delton kit to build a homeland security rifle for my wife.  She wanted something that didn't weigh much so I ordered a light weight barrel.  the Delton turned out to be a very nice build.    She has probably run a couple of hundred rounds through gun, it goes bang.  She has a red dot on the upper and can keep a pretty tight grouping, not as accurate as a scope but more than good enough.  

I have a 6.8 spc and another 5.56 that I've built with parts from well know companies.  The  fit and finish of Delton seem seem to be of equal quality.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I just built one of those kits last year. I have a couple thousand rounds through it with no problems at all. I am extremely happy with it for the money and application. It seems like most other people have good experience with Del-Ton as well. Be prepared for a wait as they are often backed up on orders.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:04:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I just completed a Del-Ton 16" Middy rifle that was built from a kit.       So far, I only have about 80 rounds through it, but they have all fed, fired, and ejected without even a hint of problems.     I fired a mixed bag of XM193, PMC Bronze, Ultramax, Hornady steel, and PPU 68 gr OTM to function check and zero in my scope.

I dealt with Pam at Del-Ton, and she was a pleasure to do business with.      She was quick to answer questions and was very helpful.    I was originally quoted 4-6 weeks for completion, but I had the rifle kit at my doorstep 15 days after ordering it.     I originally ordered the rifle with a YHM low profile gas block that is a $20 option.     They were sold out of them, and it was holding up the build of my upper.       Pam contacted me and said they had a PRI low profile gas block, and they would build the upper and ship it the following day if they had my approval.     Long story short, the PRI gas block sells for around $50 which is $30 more than the YHM block.      I inquired about the extra cost, and Pam told me not to worry about it.      I had an email the following morning with a UPS tracking number and had the rilfe 2 days later.

During the build phase of my stripped lower,  I ran into a snag when I found the pins supplied for the FCG would not fit the RRA 2 stage trigger that I ordered.     One call to Del-Ton and I had the correct pins on the way, along with a pre-paid envelope to return the incorrect pins.    In this day and age, it's nice to deal with a company that cares, and doesn't make excuses.    

I know it's early in the life of my Del-Ton build, but I can honestly say they're a great company to deal with.    They might not be considered a Tier 1 company, but they've earned my business.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]
My first build was with moslty Del-Ton parts.  It all started because I found one of their stripped lowers on sale at one of the local fun shops.  Then I discovered them online and liked the prices so I went on a spree.  I have been very happy with the experience.  Since they didn't need to assemble anything in my order, they had it shipped within three days from date of order.  This was back in Sept.  

Gun shoots great and ejects the brass perfectly.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a DelTon upper that shoots fine.  Now experience with their kits though.  Its all up to what you want though.  They seem decently priced for what you get.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I've built 5 rifles with Del Ton kits. No issues with any, and all run with total reliability.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#7]
i built a delton middy and have close to 1000 rounds through it. it works great and have nothing but great things to say about it. the rifle kit did take about 7 weeks to ship. i really wasnt in a rush so it didnt bother me with the waiting.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top