Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 11:23:49 AM EDT
Just got an upper (I didn't build it) and I noticed while looking into the upper that gas tube cants(leans) to one side...the carrier key does slip over it...although you can feel a "rub" as it does so.  Have not shot this upper yet....would you take it it down and redo the gas tube so its straight...or is this no biggie?  I usually build mine and I always have a straight tube with a bit of wiggle to it...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Your barrel nut is probably half a degree too far to one side. Adjusting the barrel nut will fix your gastube problem.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
And yes, I would fix it. It should only take 10 minutes to do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If the tube is really bent & not the barrel nut . Take the bolt out of the carrier , insert carrier & bend tube so it aligns good .
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And yes, I would fix it. It should only take 10 minutes to do.

"Should" is the key word. There's probably a good reason why the barrel nut isn't lined up all the way. It was probably torqued as much as he could get it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If the barrel nut is on right, the gas block is right, and the gas tube is straight to the barrel nut, then straighten it and tweak it in until it fits correctly.
If not I would take it down.
There may be an underlying problem that I would find unacceptable.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top