Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2011 10:31:54 AM EDT
I've got a Noveske N4  Recce 16" with VIS and a standard Front Sight Post.  The rifle is a build I would say is near perfection, however, my only wish is that I had went with a low profile since I use an Eotech with 5x Magnifier.

Just a few questions  / thoughts, I would love feedback because I'm really on the fence here:

1. Has anyone ever ground down the front sight post?  I talked to Noveske, and they said you can't have the gas block replaced (well, shouldn't since they stake it for reliability and a low profile gas block won't properly cover the holes from the front sight post - they did recommend grinding it down as an option)  I've seen videos on YouTube about doing this, and it really seems like a non-issue to do, but I do have concerns.

2. Since I have a 16" that has the VIS sized for the front sight post, it obviously will fall a bit short of the front sight distance if I used a flip up front sight on the rail.  I'm aware this is only for BUIS (that realistically, I shouldn't ever use unless there's an emergency), but does this loss of length drastically affect the accuracy of the BUIS or is it really a non-issue.  Part of me says it really wouldn't matter that much, especially that this probably matches the length of a 14.5" barrel's sight post diference.

3. If I did grind down the post, is there any product I can order to refinish or cover the bare metal I will expose after grinding the site off?

4. Is this a completely ridiculous idea and will destroy the value of my rifle if I ever wanted to resell?  I know it will depend on the buyer, but I don't want to take a $2200 rifle and make it worth $500 less because of the lack of a front sight post.  It seems to me, it would more easily sell as a cheaper option for a low profile / flip up front BUIS setup.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Part of me says go for it (improve the performance of my optics that is what I primarily use), another says you don't touch a Noveske and you live with it.  That being said, there's no budget for a new rifle in sight in the near future, so I'm trying to set this up as perfectly as possible.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or ideas.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Since you have a VIS, you should sell it and buy what you want. If you had a regular rail you could grind the FSB down and put the longer rail over it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not overly worried about the longer rail covering the post.  I mean really I've seen plenty of builds with a low profile without a rail covering the block, it's not that big of a deal to me.

I am mostly concerned with the functional and value aspects of doing this.  I'm done buying gear for awhile, the wife has me on lockdown now - sneaking a front flip BUIS isn't that tough :)
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Have ADCO pin a PRI flip front on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Isn't a PRI a gas block replacement?  Noveske advised against that.

Maybe I'll just do nothing, it's not that big of a deal.  If it's me with my tools / dremel taking the site off and screwing a flip on the rail, I'd do it - beyond that, anything else (even selling the upper) is really just a hassle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
You can use a replacement if the pin is larger than the first one or located somewhere else. It's less than ideal but it will work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.  If this was a < $1000 rifle, I'd consider it, but something tells me not to muck with a Noveske build.  Grinding is one thing, replacing is another.

But back to my question - is that 1" loss on the front post any big deal on a 16" midlength rail?  Seems it'd be the same level of accuracy as a 14.5"... that's really the question I'm most interested in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a lot to be said for leaving it alone as it is a premium brand! There is also a value to having that front sight post when we have that Zombie invasion.The front sight post gives a great point of reference for combat style point shooting!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Wouldn't a flip up at the end of the rail be equally as effective?  I wasn't suggesting having no sight, just grind down the factory and add a noveske flip up front buis like I've got in the back.

And yes, zombies are definitely the prime target.  Just remember to double tap and have a rifle that's good in the cold - zombies don't function as well in cold, so I'll be heading north ;)

At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal, but it'd be nice to get that dark blurred line out of my 6 o'clock if it's simple.  I don't really mind the front post, but I think low profile just looks better.

And yes, since it's a Noveske, I'm hesitant... although Noveske suggested if I wanted a 12 o'clock light or some option like that, grinding down would be my best option, replacement of the gas block isn't, and for what I've put into this gun, selling at a loss and shelling out more cash for the low profile upper isn't in the cards :)

I guess I just don't know if people really value that front post, or if the trend in AR's when people buy (not that I'm really planning to sell unless I need a kidney or something), it seems people want low profile anyway and the front posts are really less desired.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
No, don't cut and grind the post. You can sell it and replace it with the upper you want for a little more cash.
If you cut it you have a dicked up rifle and the rail doesn't even cover the gas block. If you try to do some
work and part replacement I don't think you will come out ahead in cash spent and the gun or upper will be
seriously deminished in value.

Sell the upper and get the one you want or just leave it alone. You wiill likely ruin the value of the gun and still be
pissed that it isn't just what you want. There are still alot of guys that prefer the FSB for it's reliability.

Besides, you have a Noveske. Don't screw it up

Done things like this a few too many times myself. You rarely come out ahead or even. Old men know shit!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Grind it. Hi temp BBQ paint. Since Troy has come to the market with 11, 13, and 15" rail systems it is amazingly clear that low profile gas systems are the new norm now.

And yes––-a flip-up on a VIS will be the same height as your FSB.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Haha, I love the differing opinions - like the devil and the angel on each shoulder.

I was actually looking at my setup this evening, and realized that I don't mind the FSB and messing with it, is probably a stupid idea.   Looking at where the flip up sight would sit, I don't really like it - just feels wrong / too close.  There's also the fact that I always start into what should be a simple (or so I think) project, and then it gets way out of hand and I end up pissed and spending more money.  Especially considering I wouldn't be removing the FSB to do it, the last thing I need is to grind into a Vltor VIS upper or a Noveske barrel, the gas tube, or just flat out grind off too much.

I've also read some forums and some people feel for longer range shooting, even the flip up BUIS has some minor movement flip to flip and it's not as true and accurate as a FSB.  Seems to me the younger guys like the "cooler" flip up BUIS, but the older shooters prefer the FSB... Something tells me to go with years of wisdom here :)

So I appreciate the feedback, I think the FSB is just fine - I just had a weird impulsive moment and I'm back to reality now.  I'm just lucky nobody had a Noveske marked Troy Front BUIS for sale at a good price or it might have pushed me over the edge :)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top