Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 6:24:56 PM EDT
If one wanted to dull the finish on a stainless barrel to a more brushed look....How would I go about this.  Sand blast the out side?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'd have to get it blasted.

There's a lot of guys that do that with fluted SS barrel's.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Send it to ADCO and have them bead blast it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Bead blast for a satin finish.

Sand blast for a textured finish.

Chuck the barrel in a drill or lathe and carefully hold thebarrel with an Emery cloth pad for a rotary brushed finish.

Take a pad of Emery cloth and very carefully run the pad up and down the length of the barrel with out turning the barrel or pad for a long pattern brush finish.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I use fine sand or beads to blast mine. Find a machine shop or fab shop local.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup, what they said. Larger beads = duller finish.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure it is clean or new media or you could pepper the barrel with iron and it will rust like it has the Measles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Would various grades of steel wool have any effect?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
You could try using a Scotch-Brite pad on a palm sander. It works well on stainless.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, until the steel starts to rust.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't touch your stainless barrel with any type of steel wool or abrasive product that has any ferrous metals in it.  When you do, traces of ferrous materials will be left behind embedded in the stainless surface.  You won't be able to see them at first ... but then they begin to rust and you will definitely see them then.  Good way to screw up the finish on an expensive stainless barrel.  Spend the money and get the barrel bead blasted.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks on the SS question. This is why I'm a member, Good knowledge base.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top