Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2011 11:45:50 AM EDT
Trying to put a magpul asap on a 6 month old bushmaster M4gery.  I can't get the nut lose.  The castle nut does not appear to be staked, but I broke a castle nut wrench trying to get it lose.  Is Bushmaster locktiteing the threads?  I heated it up with a heat gun and put a lot of torque on the nut with no luck.

How much torque can I put on the lower in a magwell vice adapter without damaging the lower.

Does PB blaster loosen locktite.  

A 20 minute project just turned ugly.

Help
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably loctited.  Apply heat to loosen it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Grab a gas torch and heat it up should come off easily
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Grab a gas torch and heat it up should come off easily

Thanks guys...

How hot is to hot?

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That's odd, I just added a single point attachment to my Bushmaster rifle.  The castle nut on my rifle came off way too easy.  When I put it back on I staked it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
i had the same problem with mine a while back, its not locktited or stack,  it was such a battle to get off. i mangled the nut but finally got it off with a 14" pipe wrench after trying with a stock wrench and heat with no luck. once i broke it free it didnt tread off easy the castle nut trashed the tube treads too, almost like it was cross treaded. never could figure out what the problem was
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The one on my BM came right off w/o much effort.

Was your wrench of quality or a cheap $5 one?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I would invest in a better wrench before I would apply heat.  It's pretty easy to kill the temper in your tube and have it deform when re-staking afterwards, thus hanging up the spring/buffer/carrier.

Just get the proper tool:

Mack-Truck of Stock Wrenches
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I have found zero loctite on BM castle nuts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys,

Thanks for the continued input.  Wife fell off ladder, project delayed.  I did order a better wrench.  I will order a tube and nut and put some leverage on the casle nut wrench.  If that does not work, the pipe wrench will come out of the tool box.

This must be the bad threading some spoke of.

How much force can I use with the lower in a vice using the block in the mag well device without breaking the lower?

Again, Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How much force can I use with the lower in a vice using the block in the mag well device without breaking the lower?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Many may view it as an unnecessary expense, but I really enjoy having lower receiver blocks.  Great tool, IMHO...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Two of My Bushmasters came with locktite on the castle nuts. Propane torch got it loose. No damage to the finish of the lower receiver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top