Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2011 4:05:37 PM EDT
I got my barrel back from ADCO today.  The work looks fine I just have a concern about the placement of hider.  I've never had Smith Vortex pinned on, but the instructions from Smith said not to use a washer during installing it.  So I didn't send a washer with the barrel and vortex hider.  I'm just wondering if I should be concern about it not being lined up.  I'm sure they put it on at the correct torque.  I just don't like the way it looks.  I'm thinking I should have sent a washer.  

Anyone had a Smith Vortex hider pinned and had it turn out like this?

Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Lined up with what? The Vortex is twisted, it's not designed to be "timed".

I have a ADCO pin job using a Vortex and it looks the same as yours. It'll be fine..

Link Posted: 5/12/2011 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The washer would be for a non-permanent installation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The Vortex was never intended to have a crush washer. It is self tightening but pinning is obviously needed for legal length.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The washer would be for a non-permanent installation.

Actually you never need a washer with the SE Vortex.
You do not need to use much torque when installing as the design will continuously tighten it every time you fire the gun due to it's twisted tangs.

Bill
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It's installed correctly and looks fine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The orientation of the wrench flats is meaningless, it's installed correctly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't matter if it's torqued either. It's pinned! It's not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The orientation of the wrench flats is meaningless, it's installed correctly.

Yes that what I was worried about is how the wrench flats were lined up.  But it is alright from what has been posted on here.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
When I pin a FH for someone....I will face the rear locating surface until it will index any way he wants. I don't use a washer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
if you pin it you don't need a washer and its not to be timed since its has a vortex design..
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]
That is how the Smith flash hider is meant to look, perfecty fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I can see why you might want the wrench flats squared up, but since its just an appearance issue and the job is complete, I wouldn't worry about it. You can't see it while your shootin.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top