Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2011 3:51:15 PM EDT
Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a 2-stage trigger for my recent build. What would you guys reccomend? Please list price with your recommedation. This gun will be used for coyotes mostly, but will see some bench and 3-gun time.

Thanks,

Jeff
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Geissele.

SSA: $170
SSA-E: $200
S3G: $230
DMR: $279
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Jewell - $210
Jard - $150
Rock River Arms - $120

Best feel and full adjustability is the Jewell.
Best overall value (not adjustable) is the RRA.
Jard has a great feel but very sensitive to correct adjustment to prevent doubling.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Geissele.

SSA is what I have in my scoped AR-10. It is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the RRA two stage in my bench gun. It is a decent trigger for the money. Just don't use it in a .22 conversion or a 9mm upper as the trigs don't like the abuse these cals put out. I would like to try a jewel trig one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Geissele Check out the new SD line.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
RR..........$96/shipped. Do a google search. thats how I found mine for that $$. Damn fine trigger for the $.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
RR..........$96/shipped. Do a google search. thats how I found mine for that $$. Damn fine trigger for the $.

THIS

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like my RR.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Geissele.

+1

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy once, cry once. Geissele triggers are hard use triggers. They are made to run. Although I have no first hand experience, I have heard of RRA 2-stage NM triggers crapping out. Not to the point that they cease to function but they lose the first stage of the two stage and turn into a single stage trigger. Does this happen all the time? Nah. Are there RRA NM triggers that have gone several thousand rounds without any problems? Sure.
Your money, your call. I've yet to hear something bad about Geissele triggers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Geiselle SSA and have found no reason to try anything else. I suppose ignorance is bliss, but for $170, the SSA is where I'd suggest. My other AR uses the DD LPK stock trigger and I can definitely feel the difference between the two...
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geissele.

+1

+2

I have the -E myself
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Geissele, sounds like it will be a great improvement and reliable. The RRA will get a look also since it is quite a bit less money.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an RRA and I just replaced it with a Geissele SSA-E.   There is no comparison.  Buy the Geissele
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a RRA in my RRA LAR-8 - HUGE improvement over the stock AR-15 triggers!  I am going with a Geissele on my current build.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I just sent my RRA 2 stage NM back to the shop to get it repaired... It lost the second stage after about 3,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm using a Geiselle SSA-E.  It's amazingly smooth.  Very easy to stage for precision shots, or you can just roll right through it for fast shots.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just sent my RRA 2 stage NM back to the shop to get it repaired... It lost the second stage after about 3,000 rounds.

Yeah that sucks. 3000 rounds sounds like a bunch but last week I went through almost a thousand rounds for a class. Hitting 3K would be nothing for me in less than a month.. That's not reliable enough for me. I'm sure some have surpassed that without problems but I know based on user feedback Geissele triggers are bomb proof. That's why I went with it. With that said, I do like the feel of the RRA 2-stage NM triggers.
Reliability is my number 1 priority.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Geissele SSA, a Rock River two stage and a Daniel Defense single stage that was worked over by Bill Springfield.

The DD/Springfield ended up in my son's M&P15-22 plinker. The Rock River is in the junk drawer. The SSA is in my duty weapon.

The Geissele is vastly superior to the other two, and worth the money. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
A SD-C resides in my duty weapon. I have a SSA in my back up rig/safe queen. I have a SD-C on order for a new build and just sold a SD-3G on EE. Yeah, I love em!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Geissele SD trigger on sale at Midway (in current flyer) for $170. I have the 3G version, and it is very nice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#22]
i personally have a Geisselle SDE that I bought from MidwayUSA when it was also on sale a few months ago. Its worth every penny. No creep, no grittyness, and it breaks very cleanly and predictable.  IMHO, I find that the trigger pull is perfect for a 2 stage. Its not super light, and its not heavy either.  When I pull the trigger quickly for quick consecutive shots, I don't consciously even notice the 2 stage break.  If I squeeze it slowly, the 2nd stage "wall" is well defined.  The SDE has a flat trigger face. I'm not sure if I recommend it, I feel that is more about personal preference. The flat face doesn't negatively affect the performance of the trigger, but it does take some time to get use to.  As for reliability, I haven't shot enough to comment on the reliability.

If I were to make only one upgrade to my rifle and be done with it, I'd buy a geisselle trigger.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Geissele SSA in my main AR, I have a Geissele SSA-E in my precision 308 AR, and a Rock River 2-stage in another AR.  The RR is a great feeling trigger for the money, It just has some reliability issues (not on mine, but I have read about many problems). I had a RR 2-stage in my main AR and swapped it out for the Geissele SSA, so I could have a great feeling trigger with all the reliability.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the Rock River 2 stage in both my ARs. The first one came that way from Colona; when it came time for me to own two ARs, I decided to build the next one and put the same Rock River 2 stage trigger in it.

I'm curious about the Rock River issues expressed in previous posts. Some seem to wear out around 3000 rounds (not mine - I've got 3300+ on my first one). But in the "Guns Magazine" article about the DEA selecting the Rock River, nothing was mentioned about trigger issues, and they put 5000 rounds through those guns. Guess I'll keep a sharp eye on my triggers - one could be on the brink of failure (partial failure? as it's just the 1st stage that goes).
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I have both a RRA and Giessele High Speed- the RRA for about 6 years and the Giessele for about 3 months.

I had issues with my original RRA trigger firing multiple shots at about 2K rounds.  They replaced it and I have no problems since (6k rounds + on this one).  I tweaked the springs a bit recently to lighten it up and it went from a good trigger to a great trigger.

The Giessele high speed is in my Grendel and I'm very happy with it. Nice and clean with a wide range of adjustability.  However, I'm not sure if it's worth 3x the cost for what I'm using it for when compared to the RRA.  If I were using it in a bench rifle, absolutely- but for a field rifle the RRA is more than enough.

I guess you have to decide if you want the best or the best value.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#26]

RRA 2-stage trigger has been around for a long time, and more
widely used.   We tend to hear more issues reported with RRA
trigger because there are more being used on the field.   I am also looking at the SSA for a new build, but I have not seen any endurance tests done
on the Geissele triggers yet.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Both the Geissele SSA & SSF triggers have passed and received the Crane NSWC Safety Certification.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top