Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2011 3:38:43 PM EDT
I'm planning on installing one of these on my next build. It will be installed on a new barrel with no previously installed gas block. I get the general premise that I clamp the sucker on using the four cap screws. The question I have is how do I align the gas block with the receiver? I would like to do something better than eyeballing it. Also, would it be recommended to use Loctite 271 (Red) on the cap screws or is there something more appropriate?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy way is cap off one end of the barrel and pump the other end full of air and listen/feel the air come out the gas block...easy and flawless.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Put the sight down and lay something flat and straight on it perpendicular to the barrel.   Do the same on the upper and from the rear make your two flats parallel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Not too hard to eyeball. The bottom of the clamp on piece has a generous sized hole to go over the gas port. I put one on the Bushmaster I sold a few years ago with little AR experience at the time and it worked the first time out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Follow the instructions posted on their website.
They don’t recommend Loctite.
I don’t use Loctite on gas blocks, other folks have different feelings about it.
If you are free floating the barrel pay especial attention to the part about leaving a gap where the handguard cap would normally go.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Follow the instructions posted on their website.
They don’t recommend Loctite.
I don’t use Loctite on gas blocks, other folks have different feelings about it.
If you are free floating the barrel pay especial attention to the part about leaving a gap where the handguard cap would normally go.

This .... I don't use loctite on GB's.

The gap is about 1/16" from the shoulder .... I use an old end cap that's been opened up with a dremel on one side to allow me to slip it in between the shoulder and GB for proper indexing.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
They sell a rail vise clamp that lines up the rail perfect then you tighten it while in the rail vise for a perfect alienment. Cost about $61.00. (YHM) Some people use a clamp on hand grip or scope mount half on front rail half on back rail.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top