Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2011 11:28:45 AM EDT
I tried to save a couple bucks and got the Barska combo tool from Brownells.  Don't waste your time and money.  The nipples for installing a free float tube barrel nut point in 3 different directions, couldn't get two of them into the holes.  The notch for the flash hider install is too narrow, probably from all the powder coat on it.  This one is going back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, because I'm in the market for an AR15 armorer's wrench.  Anyone want to recommend an affordable one that's GTG?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Guntec USA
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
We have the DPMS in the armory at work, and it works fine, but I thought they all must be the same,and tried to skimp.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#5]
got mine off ebay for 28.50...best price i found anyway and it works well...by the way this is finally my first post here
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have the DPMS in the armory at work, and it works fine, but I thought they all must be the same,and tried to skimp.

That's exactly what I was planning on doing, so again, I really appreciate your original post.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#7]
GI wrenches work just fine.  I put some longer pins in one to accomodate some of my FF handguard barrel nuts.  The older style has provisions to tighten 3-prong flash hiders.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:06:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GI wrenches work just fine.  I put some longer pins in one to accomodate some of my FF handguard barrel nuts.  The older style has provisions to tighten 3-prong flash hiders.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_17453.JPG

For assembly, GI wrenches are fine, but I've chewed up a barrel nut with a GI wrench trying to remove the nut.  That's why I got a DPMS tool-it grabs about half of the notches and has an extremely positive fit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#9]
When you guys say the DPMS tool are y'all talking about the multi tool?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
With the DPMS tools has anyone else had to file out the 1/2 drive hole that it has?  I went to put my 1/2 torque wrench into my tool and it wouldnt fit, I know once I take a file to it, itll be gtg.  Just wondering if other people had this happen too.  Just a tad bit too much powder coat I guess.  Check out primary arms, that had a pretty good price on it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With the DPMS tools has anyone else had to file out the 1/2 drive hole that it has?  I went to put my 1/2 torque wrench into my tool and it wouldnt fit, I know once I take a file to it, itll be gtg.  Just wondering if other people had this happen too.  Just a tad bit too much powder coat I guess.  Check out primary arms, that had a pretty good price on it.

Coating too thick?  Mine fit the 1/2" drive fine.

And yes, we're talking about the DPMS Multitool:
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
nope mines gtg had it for almost 10 years know thing works great
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a smith enterprises one.  It isn't cheap, but it is built like a tank.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Yea my powder coating is too thick.  Will file it down tomorrow.  It is rock solid though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yea my powder coating is too thick.  Will file it down tomorrow.  It is rock solid though.

I was gonna goop some naval jelly on mine and try to soften some of that coating up, then hit it with a wire brush.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#16]
My DPMS wrench decided it would be cool to shear off one of its barrel nut prongs...

Now I use one with three prongs and it's much more stable.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
got mine off ebay for 28.50...best price i found anyway and it works well...by the way this is finally my first post here

That's what my wife got me for Christmas one year. Works well enough.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I tried to save a couple bucks and got the Barska combo tool from Brownells.  Don't waste your time and money.  The nipples for installing a free float tube barrel nut point in 3 different directions, couldn't get two of them into the holes.  The notch for the flash hider install is too narrow, probably from all the powder coat on it.  This one is going back.

Along the same lines: stay away from the Arrington Accuracy Works Armorer's Wrench.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27385/Product/AR_15_M16_ARMORER_S_WRENCH
I was hoping to get an all-in-one for all my round nut needs. I mared the sh*t out of my castle nut and my Yankee Hill jam nut. It's channel locks with two half circle notches drilled at the ends and a couple posts added. Not only overpriced, but nearly useless.

For a castle nut wrench, I highly recommend the one from Spike's.
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spikes-tactical-heavy-duty-m4-stock-wrench-p-271.html
It's only $20 and it's built like a brick sh*t house. Looks sweet too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My DPMS wrench decided it would be cool to shear off one of its barrel nut prongs...

Never heard of that happening.  With the wrench contacting half of the notches, I would love to hear how it managed to do anything like that.  Especially just ONE prong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of that happening.  With the wrench contacting half of the notches, I would love to hear how it managed to do anything like that.  Especially just ONE prong.

If you look at the picture you posted of the DPMS wrench it was one of the two uncoated prongs that I had snap off.

This happened during the install of a Larue barrel nut before it had even reached 30 ft.lbs. of torque. When it snapped, the remaining jagged metal gouged the shit out of the nut and completely fucked it up.
Thankfully, I called Larue to order another one and they sent me a replacement free of charge.

Now I used a wrench with a BETTER design incorporating three prongs such as this Multi-tool.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:59:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at the picture you posted of the DPMS wrench it was one of the two uncoated prongs that I had snap off.

This happened during the install of a Larue barrel nut before it had even reached 30 ft.lbs. of torque. When it snapped, the remaining jagged metal gouged the shit out of the nut and completely fucked it up.
Thankfully, I called Larue to order another one and they sent me a replacement free of charge.

Now I used a wrench with a BETTER design incorporating three prongs such as this Multi-tool.

I always used my DPMS wrench on standard barrel nuts, and with the prongs away from the nut; I never envisioned using it the other way.

But the wrench you linked to has a LOT deeper cup for the barrel nut, so it should be even better at gripping any barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
this one works for me.

GI wrench
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top