Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2011 6:55:48 AM EDT
Need options to replace an A2 flash hider.  I'm looking for something that has good flash reduction and compensating properties and won't blow back a lot of pleasure and sound towards the shooter.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Smith Vortex for Muzzle Flash Reduction - Does not redirect sound to sides like a brake so there is not an increase in sound and about the same as an A2 for recoil.

Battle Comp for compensator to reduce muzzle rise without signifigantly increasing sound but does not reduce muzzle flash much more than an A2.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are both good choices to address recoil or muzzle flash, but is there anything that will do both compared to an A2?
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You want a supressor.  File your paperwork and chough up the dough and any of the quality supressors on the market will do both.  Other than than that you are SOL.
Most everything you can buy has trade offs (noise, flash or recoil)
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You want a supressor.  File your paperwork and chough up the dough and any of the quality supressors on the market will do both.  Other than than that you are SOL.
Most everything you can buy has trade offs (noise, flash or recoil)

Wish we could do that here in Michigan but it’s a definite no go.  Hopefully some day we will be able, the AG here just gave an opinion making it legal to own full autos if you go through the right process.... Hopefully he will give an opinion on suppressors, SBR, and SBS soon.

I would recommend the battlecomp.  It provides great compensation without directing the blast back at you and does the same (or close to) flash suppression as the a2.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would recommend the battlecomp.  It provides great compensation without directing the blast back at you and does the same (or close to) flash suppression as the a2.

+1.  My Battle Comps have exceeded my expectations.  Marginally more flash than an A2 but they are much better at controlling muzzle rise while being as quiet as an A2.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info everyone.  I'll have to give the Battlecomp a try.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Everyone has their favorite.

Stoner used a three prong FH originally, most of the prong versions seem to rate well in that regard. The Army bought 10,000 AAC Blackouts to use in A-stan, a prong design.

Constructor at ARP has a chart up rating designs he machines, the prong version all rate highly for less flash and better at redirecting noise forward. Short of a suppressor (sorry you can't,) it seems they are the way to go. Other designs that also seem to do well  are the no hole/cut  versions,  like the Levang or Black River Tactical.

Anything with side ports horizontally or vertically will redirect noise back to the shooter. I'm being careful with words for a reason, FH/Comps do not increase or decrease noise,  as the BATF then considers them a  suppressor.  Ask  the guys marketing the .22 MP5 repro gun with the tube about that. We get to play with directing the perceived noise, not reducing it.

In  MO a C&R, tax stamp, and cubic dollars will let you hunt with one, but for my budget, I'll wait for the Vltor Volks suppressor. In the meantime  I've narrowed it down to an ITS 4 prong or BRT.

Not knocking the CNC investment, but what is it about all of them except the issue FH costing $50+? My Scots/Irish side gets all backed up about it. I'm thinking of literally taking a Dremel to an issue FH - but I ask myself, what little good does cuttting the web do except reduce the blowback marginally?

What the heck, I could try anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Can you post a link to that chart?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top