Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2010 6:56:45 PM EDT
I have an LMT Defender 2000.  I want to do some modifications.  Im planning on replacing the factory barrel with M4 cuts with a Daniel Defense lightweight barrel and low profile gas block.  Im also planning on installing a Larue Tactical 9" forearm and utilizing Troy Industries front and rear flip up BUIS.  I have some very specific questions regarding this transformation and the tools necessary.  

I have been thinking about this work and have arrived at the following plan.   I think I can remove the plastic handguards on my rifle, remove the gas tube pin,  pull the gas tube slightly rearward and then foreward around the A2 sight gas block for removal.  I think I can then use an AR barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel.  Since Im replacing the barrel anyway, I see no need to remove the A2 sight unless this wont work.  

I can then replace the barrel and install the Larue forearm according to the instructions provided.  Obviously the flip up BUIS wont be an issue.  

I can see a need for the following tools:  (please give your opinions and advice on exactly what tools are needed and exactly which brand you like best)
a) AR vise (which model / brand is best)
b) Barrel nut wrench (which brand is best)
c) punches (what brand is best, brass or steel, what sizes)
d) strap wrench (anything special??)
e) mallet (Brownells has one that is brass on one end and plastic on the other-  Looks good)
f) gas tube wrench??

1) Is this something I can do at home?
2) Will the new barrel automatically headspace properly?
3) Can I use the old gas tube and roll pin or should I get a new one?

Any and all recommendations and suggestions welcomed!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
A- I bought my vice from Bushmaster, alot of people use the DPMS ones also
B- same as above, I got the deluxe model and it is a little heavier than the stamped steel model, alot of people also use the "C" shaped three prong wrench that the military uses, they're cheaper, but I don't like them because they only grab three of the barrel nut teeth and the other types grab about 3/4's of the teeth.
C- either type of puch will work, I use steel ones because that is all the hardware store had, I've also used drill bits in emergencies
D-I don't have any info for these
E- That sounds like a good one, I used a wooden mallet to install the gas tube roll pin and the trigger/hammer pins and it works fine, you could also use a regular hammer and wrap the end with tape so you don't mar the finish if you slip.
F- I've never heard of a gas tube wrench and didn't need one for the barrel change I did.

1. yes this is an easy project to do at home
2. The new barrel should headspace properly if it's from a reputable company and if you use a new bolt also. If you reuse your old bolt and it has less than 500rds it should headspace fine too, but it wouldn't hurt to get a gauge and check it.
3. If the new barrel has the same type of gas system(rifle, mid, or carbine) you can reuse the old gas tube and pin, unless the new gas block comes with a pin then use that one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have an LMT Defender 2000.  I want to do some modifications.  Im planning on replacing the factory barrel with M4 cuts with a Daniel Defense lightweight barrel and low profile gas block.  Im also planning on installing a Larue Tactical 9" forearm and utilizing Troy Industries front and rear flip up BUIS.  I have some very specific questions regarding this transformation and the tools necessary.  

I have been thinking about this work and have arrived at the following plan.   I think I can remove the plastic handguards on my rifle, remove the gas tube pin,  pull the gas tube slightly rearward and then foreward around the A2 sight gas block for removal.  I think I can then use an AR barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel.  Since Im replacing the barrel anyway, I see no need to remove the A2 sight unless this wont work.  

I can then replace the barrel and install the Larue forearm according to the instructions provided.  Obviously the flip up BUIS wont be an issue.  

I can see a need for the following tools:  (please give your opinions and advice on exactly what tools are needed and exactly which brand you like best)
a) AR vise (which model / brand is best) check out home depot, lowes or rona
b) Barrel nut wrench (which brand is best) DPMS is decent CLICK ON ME
c) punches (what brand is best, brass or steel, what sizes) You probably only need one brass punch(which you'll most likely not use), the rest should be steel, I have 3 separate sets of punches... the snapon's have yet to bend.
d) strap wrench (anything special??) you mean a torque wrench?
e) mallet (Brownells has one that is brass on one end and plastic on the other-  Looks good) I have a huge assortment of mallets, hammers. On the AR I only use a leather mallet.
f) gas tube wrench?? you mean a gastube pin punch?

1) Is this something I can do at home? yes
2) Will the new barrel automatically headspace properly? it should
3) Can I use the old gas tube and roll pin or should I get a new one? the old ones will work fine

Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

a) AR vise (which model / brand is best) Got mine at Lowes ... it's a Wilton with the plastic jaw inserts think I paid 40-50 bucks for it...(ETA)...sorry thought you meant the actual vise .... the upper action block I have two ... the DPMS is good for mounting rails and the clam shell is good for mounting the barrel but I also suggest a barrel vise clamp.
b) Barrel nut wrench (which brand is best) I was using the DPMS which is like many others but with a delta in place they tend to slip off so I switched to the PRI wrench they don't slip off ... ever.
c) punches (what brand is best, brass or steel, what sizes) I purchased a cheap set at the gun show for 20 bucks but found quickly they were crap so I went to Sears and purchased a set of Craftsman punches for about 90 bucks and haven't looked back
d) strap wrench (anything special??) Also purchased at Lowes but you really only need them for indexing curtain FF tubes.
e) mallet (Brownells has one that is brass on one end and plastic on the other-  Looks good) I am using several types now from the cheap ones that came in the cheap punch set to ones I use around the house .... I am currently looking to score a Shooboy hammer with the interchangeable heads (aluminum, brass, delrin and nylon) they run about 40 bucks.
f) gas tube wrench?? Are you talking about the clamp that helps install and remove gas tubes? ... I don't have one and I doubt you will really need one.

1) Is this something I can do at home? I do
2) Will the new barrel automatically headspace properly? Usually new parts will ... but I recommend buying headspace gauges and learning how to us them ... they aren't expensive and it's cheap insurance for something handling controlled explosions inches from your face.
3) Can I use the old gas tube and roll pin or should I get a new one? Yes

Good luck with the build
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have been thinking about this work and have arrived at the following plan.   I think I can remove the plastic handguards on my rifle, remove the gas tube pin,  pull the gas tube slightly rearward and then foreward around the A2 sight gas block for removal.  I think I can then use an AR barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel.  Since Im replacing the barrel anyway, I see no need to remove the A2 sight unless this wont work.  You most certainly can do it this way.

a) AR vise (which model / brand is best) Use the clamshell type with the insert. You can pick them up at many places.
b) Barrel nut wrench (which brand is best) DPMS. It's a heavy, solid piece of steel.
c) punches (what brand is best, brass or steel, what sizes) I bought my steel punches at Sears also. But I only paided $15 - $20. Still have a lifetime guarentee.

d) strap wrench (anything special??) Two pack at Harbor Freight $10 or $12
e) mallet (Brownells has one that is brass on one end and plastic on the other-  Looks good) I use a large ball peen hammer I've had for a thousand years.
f) gas tube wrench?? You can get by without one. If you have strong finger tips. But it does give you extra leverage to move that tube around if your grip ain't what it used to be. I don't have one. Yet.

1) Is this something I can do at home? I do mine on the kitchen table when I'm not using the vice mounted out in the car port.
2) Will the new barrel automatically headspace properly? Headspace is set when the barrel extension is mounted to the barrel. Not when the barrel is mounted to the receiver.
3) Can I use the old gas tube and roll pin or should I get a new one? Should be able to. Unless you monkey them up removing them.

Oh yeah. Rainier Arms sells a jig for mounting low pro gas blocks. It allows you to properly drill divots in your barrel to sink the set screws into. IIRC, it's about $45. A bit much for one build but after you use it you start planning more builds. It's a nice piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  A couple more questions.  

1) What size punch will I need for the gas block pins?

2) What size punch will I need for the gas tube roll pin?

3) What grease (specific brands please) would you use on the barrel threads?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one of these sets from Cabelas

It's worked fine for everything I've needed to do...including tightening the castle nut on my stock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
PRI makes the best barrel wrench in my opinion.  I've got the brownells clamshell, it's ok, but I'm planning on upgrading to the version Spikes carries.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
You left out a very important tool, my xmas gift to myself hopefuly.
Ultimate Gunsmithing Tool
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You left out a very important tool, my xmas gift to myself hopefuly.
Ultimate Gunsmithing Tool

Extra cool, but I don't know how it will go with the rest of the living room set.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top