Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:40:18 PM EDT
What all tools would you Need to Build an upper an what tools would just be helpful?
Also Upper, Barrel, Sights, Bcg, Handguard, Chargin' Handle, Forward Assist & Dust Cover. Am i Forgettin' anythin'?
Thanks guys, sorry for the noob questions, Just Gettin Started buildin' Ars I have this weird feeln I'm catchin' BRD
Love the site btw lot of great info here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You forgot gas tube.

If your Front sights is not also the gas block, then you need the gas block. make sure the gas block is compatible with your barrel's gas port and cuts.

If you're handguard is free float, it'll usually come with its custom barrel nut.
If not, you will need to get your own barrel nut, and delta ring assembly.
Flash hider and comp aren't neccesary, but helpful to have. A $2 A2 Birdcage FH will do nicely.
Don't forget the rear sight. (Unless you're using a A1/A2 upper)

Necessary to Build TOOLS:
Pin Punch Set/hammer
Upper Receive Vise Block/Upper Insert
Armorer's Wrench
Bench mounted Vise.

Useful/But Not absolutely neccesary:
If installing A2 Front Site/Gas Block, Get yourself a Gas Block Install block.
Barrel Vise useful for installing timed muzzle breaks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to put it in the OP but Can you provide a source for those tools? Thanks an I almost forgot gas block.
Looks like i would have had a Straight-Pull Bolt Action
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
brownells.com has a lot of the tools. but they aren't cheap.
Expect to spend at least $100 on tools alone to build your first upper. May pay off on the long run though.

Midwayusa.com also has many tools.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh: and if you intend to build your own BCG, make sure you get something to stake those gas key screws in tight. a MOAKs is a useful tool for DIY.

Headspace gauges useful but not neccesary when using new in-spec/mil-spec parts.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top