Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2010 7:10:01 AM EDT
Just like the title says, "How do you test your builds?"

Your gun is complete; the unloaded safety/function tests are done. What do you do to test your gun at the range?

Start with a single shot and check for the mag and bolt holding open? Then two shots to see evaluate the disconnecter function? Then three shots and then maybe ten? Once satisfied with function then start to zero? This was my initial thought of how to approach this.

What do you do?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Stick a 20 rounder in and sight it in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I load a full-mag and fire through it at a slow-pace. One shot ever couple seconds. Sighting in as I go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Well for most things, just a few single rounds to check bolt hold open, then sight in with a full mag, then i'm good...

Except for the pistol in my avatar, which i clamped in a wood vise and fired with a string from behind a tree for a few rounds to be sure nothing would fly out
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I do it pretty much like you said, but I put 2 round in the mag, test the BHO.

This combines 2 tests into one. 2 rounds, and it didn't double? And BHO works? Good enough for me!

Then I throw in a 30-rounder, and start sighting things in...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I load a magazine with a single round 3 times to check bolt hold open function.  Then I slow fire 5 rounds from a magazine to make sure rounds are feeding ok.  Then I rapid fire 5 rounds to make sure that works .  Then I'll either fire off a whole 30 and then start to sight it in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#6]
87 mag dumps
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I clean and oil the hell out of it. Get three of hottest reloads I have for it. Stick it out the back door and fire it as fast as I can. If all is good, then I get serious.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well for most things, just a few single rounds to check bolt hold open, then sight in with a full mag, then i'm good...

Except for the pistol in my avatar, which i clamped in a wood vise and fired with a string from behind a tree for a few rounds to be sure nothing would fly out

This ^^^

Except I call it the Tree-Hugger aproach.......and I dont use a string ??.....................Find a tree, about 12' in dia.....walk up and hug it, with gun in hand.......fire - with tree between you and the gun

Or the "Other" Tree-Hugger aproach...................Let your Tree-Hugger friend try the first few shots
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Single round ,then two rounds to make sure it doesn't want to go auto on me , then I put five mags out as fast as I can fire them , just to make sure it functions , then sight it in .

As your can see I believe in my own type of barrel break in & hasn't failed me in over thirty years of working on both semi & select fire AR's .

Note : they all still shoot good groups afterwards , I have tried it both ways , so to me its more important to me for function than grouping , since it has never proved to me that it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I load a magazine with a single round 3 times to check bolt hold open function.  Then I slow fire 5 rounds from a magazine to make sure rounds are feeding ok.  Then I rapid fire 5 rounds to make sure that works .  Then I'll either fire off a whole 30 and then start to sight it in.

I thought I was the only one who does it this way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
FIRST, I do about eleventy billion function checks to make sure the FCG is properly installed and functioning, long before I break out the ammo.

First range session is done with quality ammunition and a well-lubricated gun.  I've done anywhere from 30 to 100 rounds on such a visit to prove the rifle works

After that session, I CLEAN THE BEE JEE ZUS out of the new gun.  This is important because any marginal parts that didn't already fail will probably show signs of failing (this is theory-I've never had a part fail from use) and you should always inspect everything when you clean a gun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
My first mag is a single round; my second mag is 4 rounds slow firing as I want to make sure I don't cook off a full mag if there was something wrong with the LPK and my last mag is fully loaded slow firing.

I then come back and inspect the crap out of the gun with a fine tooth comb.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I've read on several forums that the member's AR, if it had an improper or bad part / setup / other problem would double tap or go into full auto. Please do a function test with the safety, etc. Do it several times.

Load one round in the magizine and fire, making sure the bolt stays open. Do that several times. Next, load 2 rounds to check for double tapping or short stroking. Again do this several times. Start off with quality ammo.

The reason I say this is because I shot / tested mine for the first time at an indooe range in Ft Worth earlier this week. Tested and worked great. As I was leaving through the pistol lane section, it was full of marshalls doing their range time. I hate to imagine the outcome if mine double tapped or went full auto the first time it was shot.

Good luck.

Rick
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top