Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:30:52 AM EDT
I am 19 and thinking of attempting my first AR build. I've seen discussions on other site forums that  say that it is illegal for someone under 21 to buy a stripped lower receiver, because it technically isn't defined as a rifle or shotgun and can be made into an AR pistol. The lower that I am looking at ordering isn't stripped though, it has all the internal parts installed as well as the 6-position buttstock. The stock would suggest its being used for a rifle, right? Does anyone know if that changes anything, or am I out-of-luck trying to buy it new?
I HATE FIREARMS REGULATION!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as you are of legal age (in your state), have no felony conviction, and can pass the NCIS check...and depending on your state/local jurisdiction, you should NOT have any problem buying a lower.

It DOES NOT MATTER if its "
technically isn't defined as a rifle or shotgun and can be made into an AR pistol". The lower is sold as a long gun, with the intent that it will be built into a rifle. You CANNOT legally build it into a pistol or SBR. To do so, you must first complete the NFA application to register the lower as a pistol/SBR, and once approved, you can then build it into a SBR/pistol. (But good luck getting the NFA application thru ATF approval...you may need your local CLEO approval to do that, unless you know how to create a trust.)

BTW, if you intend to own a firearm, you will have to know your laws, and local ones. Accidentally violating or ignoring the laws here will get you in serious trouble. From the experience of many here, including myself, firearms laws are the only regs where the govt doesn't forgive ignorance of the law.

Another way to bypass all of this is to join the US Military. They'll give you a kickass fully automatic weapon to train with, just like my own experience some 18 yrs ago. You don't own it and can't take it with you, but you get to play with it and lots of other cool stuff.

(Edited to correct "stripped lower" references.)

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The ATF needs to reined in.
In my opinion ATF shouldn't exist. Private ownership of anything that doesn't affect other citizens constitutional rights is not something the government has a right to regulate.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm not going to be able to get my lower receiver new.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top