Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2010 6:20:19 AM EDT
First tell me if I am in the right place to post this seeming it is the build forum and the question pertains to building a SBR and information of the Form 1 for the stamp.

My question is:

Do you have to obtain an EIN before you mail off the form or do you get one after you have been approved for the stamp. I have read the paperwork on it and the wording didn't really clarify it for me.

Here is the FAQ and response from the ATF site:

Q: Do I need an Employer Identification Number and, if so, how do I get one?
Persons who pay the special tax must be assigned an Employer Identification Number (EIN) and it must be shown on the special tax return. An EIN is obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Information may be obtained from your local IRS office or the IRS website (www.irs.gov).
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I cant answer all of your questions but I know there are a few enlightened folks over here
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are applying as an individual, you do not need a EIN, that section is for FFL's
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you are applying as an individual, you do not need a EIN, that section is for FFL's

that is what i needed to know thank you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#4]
You do not need an EIN if you're an individual, but that is kind of odd because I thought the Form 4 was for FFLs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Form 3s are for tax free FFL Transfers, but the form 1 is to build an NFA item, so FFLs without a manufacturer's license still have to file them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You do not need an EIN if you're an individual, but that is kind of odd because I thought the Form 4 was for FFLs.

Form 4's are used to apply for a tax stamp when buying an already manufactured NFA item.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Form 4's are used to apply for a tax stamp when buying an already manufactured NFA item.

Form 4 is for transfers.  MAKING a new SBR requires a Form 1.  And individuals do not need EINs for that, either.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Now it is just that wait that kills ya.
They received my form and MO on Aug. 18. So I figure by Christmas I should have it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top