Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2010 10:08:46 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with these lowers from NoDak Spud's website?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Built one of the $65.00 + $15.00 shipping A2 BLACK  ones up into a "Commando" with the J&T "commando" A2 LW CL upper & EA LPK & metal old school CAR stock & 4 POS tube and with my SS CMMG conversion unit it is a tack driver and love it (The McKay lower ) as it has no gawdy rollmarks (Like other highly prized NDS lowers  lack rollmarks also) .
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are in no hurry. Try these lowers from DS Arms.
I have 2 of the dsa and they are good. I do have a NDS A1 lower and they are good too. The Mckay, from what  I understand, are just lowers they bought and are selling. Not made by them. But I am sure they would be fine. It takes some bad parts to not run.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Ther DSA one has the gawdy rollmark script & logo BS , SOMEONE link up the McKay pics from the NDS site to expound on how much better a lower is with less logo action ...
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep it has a logo and it ain't pretty. But more folks know the DSA name than Mckay. If he ever goes to sell it the name will make him a couple more bucks.

I would prefer it without no doubt. I actually like the Areo precision upper logo and have seqential #ed lowers from them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep it has a logo and it ain't pretty. But more folks know the DSA name than Mckay. If he ever goes to sell it the name will make him a couple more bucks.

I would prefer it without no doubt. I actually like the Areo precision upper logo and have seqential #ed lowers from them.

McKay is almost identical to NDS A2  (AND AS FOR NAME  I would rather have an NDS /McKay with it's features than one with a Spider or Dragon or come other critter (Except Colt , but those get the wrong attention in Ca.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

McKay is almost identical to NDS A2  (AND AS FOR NAME  I would rather have an NDS /McKay with it's features than one with a Spider or Dragon or come other critter (Except Colt , but those get the wrong attention in Ca.)

I am trying to save the guy some money and make him some when he sells it. I never said get a spider, dragon (who makes that one, I have never seen that), damn sure not a coiled snake. Colt I like the old logo not the stylized type they have now. I also like the armalite logo. If you want a blank Serial# only have one of the small shops local to you build what ever makes you happy. There are 2 shops around here that have or still do make lowers. some even put the writing in the pistol grip area.

What "features" do these lower have that the ones I named don't?

Do you drive a blue Chevy? I don't like blue or Chevy. That does not mean either are bad... well that's debatable on the chevy part. Sounds like you are plain vanilla... Some like the gaudy crap on their rifles. How do you explain all the laser engravings with stupid saying on them?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The DSA one has the gawdy rollmark script & logo BS, SOMEONE link up the McKay pics from the NDS site to expound on how much better a lower is with less logo action ...

McKay Enterprises lower from NoDak site

I definitely prefer less logo action.  My only criticism with the McKay lowers is:

1) I'd have preferred they marked them with "SEMI" instead of "FIRE" so that I could add "BURST"
2) I'd have preferred they marked them "5.56 NATO" instead of "MULTI CALIBER"

Here's mine, which incidentally is the first black one...

I would have no problem with ANYTHING that NoDak endorsed/sold.  Anyway, I have no complaints with it at all and it'll make a fine A2 clone.  Maybe someday I'll find someone to sell me an NDS-16A2....

Quoted:

DSA/McKay/Aero/whatever = parts gun and either one won't "make him a couple more bucks" either way, unless he finds a fool.  And that's assuming he wants to sell the gun in the future.

For $80 to your FFL, the McKay lowers are a good deal, especially if you don't want silly logos.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with the McKay from NoDak.  Only reason is I trust Nodaks endorsement and like to support them whenever possible since they make some great retro parts for those of us interested in that sort of thing.  Mike and Harlan are top notch business guys, great products and excellent customer service.

Not that the other choices are bad, I just don't have any experience with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
AR15=parts gun!!!! PERIOD

Some parts are more well known by the uninformed. Put a colts lower on it and see if it brings more money.

You guys just want to argue. You won't win the arguement.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
AR15=parts gun!!!! PERIOD

Some parts are more well known by the uninformed. Put a colts lower on it and see if it brings more money.

You guys just want to argue. You won't win the arguement.

http://childartstudio.com/koolaid/kool-aid-man.jpg

If I wanted to argue I would play the LaRue card ...
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I ordered 4 and just built up the first one I ordered.  It has zero issues, fit is nice with an A2 stock, and the clean roll mark is really slick.  Couldn't have asked for more.  I won't quote prices, but it was more than to my advantage to order multiple lowers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I am in no way planning to sell this rifle. I am applying to the United States Naval Academy and I wanted to have the U.S. Navy Emblem engraved on the left side and "Old Glory" on the right. I would like to have a more "personalized" rifle and wanted to check out this company's reputation. Based on the guy who ordered 4 lowers (and the fact that I am not made out of money), I have decided to go the same route. I appreciate all of the replies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently purchased 2 lowers from Harlan (it's cool to have your own FFL) with the intention of building one myself and selling one to my buddy.  After seeing the quality and simplicity of the lower, my buddy is just SOL (sorry Lee)!!  The price was great and the shipping was quick.  Now I'm scrounging up parts for the second one.  I couldn't be happier.

The ex-Navy in me say to "go for it" concerning the engraved Navy emblem.  Good luck getting into the Academy, as well.

Fair winds and following seas,
Kelly O'
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I just put 300 rounds through one of my McKay lowers.

Function checked the trigger group and everything was fine.  The rifle length buffer tube threaded in to the correct depth (PERFECT).  The lockup to the upper was tight.

Total setup is:
McKay lower
Del-ton M4 upper
Bushmaster HBAR 20" Barrel
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top