Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2010 7:00:21 PM EDT
After 50 rounds gas block screws worked there way loose. Causing failure to eject a spent case. Which loctite should I use Red or Blue
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that the gas key gets too hot for lock-tite to work properly. You would be better off getting the key and bolts staked properly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
appreciate the response, but are you talking about the BCG or the Gasblock. Can the set screws be staked on the gas block
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Red
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
RED................
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys  I was thinking red just wanted to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
appreciate the response, but are you talking about the BCG or the Gasblock. Can the set screws be staked on the gas block

DOH! Reading comprehension helps!!

Read gas block and thought gas key. Sorry
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't use any Loctite.  It just doesn't have the temperature resistance you're going to need for an application like a gas-block.

Use Rocksett, the same stuff Surefire recommends for securing the barrel threads of their suppressor adaptors.

It has the breaking strength of blue Loctite, but much,much higher temperature resistance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't use any Loctite.  It just doesn't have the temperature resistance you're going to need for an application like a gas-block.

Use Rocksett, the same stuff Surefire recommends for securing the barrel threads of their suppressor adaptors.

It has the breaking strength of blue Loctite, but much,much higher temperature resistance.

Mfg recs......good to......500 degrees............never had one come loose..................saw where a guy put a barrel sleeve in a Beretta 92 with red........never failed................

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Mfg recs......good to......500 degrees............never had one come loose..................saw where a guy put a barrel sleeve in a Beretta 92 with red........never failed................

A handy tip for removing red Loctite . . . put a soldering iron on the head of the screw for 5-10 minutes . . . the Loctite just melts away.  That doesn't work with Rocksett.

I try not to subscribe to the "it's good enough" conclusion when I know there is something better out there.

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Love these LockTite responses as they will get people into trouble.  There are five different LockTite products available for general use in addition to numberous ones available to industry only.  If you go by color your in trouble.  You need to specify the number of the product –– 222, 242, 271, 290 or 640.  640 hss the highest strength and over the years has been two colors too my knowledge - red or green.  There are three colors LockTite uses - red, green or blue.  Get the wrong product number because you used color and you in deep do do.  Then again I can use another cheap rifle because someone used the wrong product.  Dealer was happy to part with the trade in at a deep discount.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
So which number is the correct one then, if not by color?
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
There are three versions used by us common folks;

222MS - purple
242 - blue
262 - red

The remaining versions are specialized for their application.  Read the label before using.

Also note that strength and temperature resistance are not synonymous, which is why I still prefer the Rocksett.  Rocksett is clear by the way, so there's no mistaking it.

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to be able to get my gasblock off so I used Blue...  I mean 242...

I have about 1k through the rifle and they haven't come loose.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Your really should just get it pinned.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I've yet to see a properly loctited gas block fail.  I'm sure it has happened, but I've not experienced it.  

To answer the other question, you can stake any screw that has metal around it to deform.  So while you MIGHT be able to stake these depending on your gas block and how it's configured, I wouldn't do it that way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I used red loctite AND safety wired the screw heads together. Even if the block gets hot enough to weaken the loctite, they aren't going anywhere unless I break the wire.

The downside is you have to drill the screw heads, and acquire .020" stainless safety wire (I would also recomend pliers but those were only like $4 at harbor freight)... safety wire isn't really cheap, considering you only need a few inches of it!

How to safety wire

Edit: I can't spell
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used Loctite (Green)290 for bedding & securing gasblocks/screws without any issues.

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/290-EN.PDF

Got the tip from TOS

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Loctite Red 271.  

It's way the hell stronger than Rocksett, heat or no heat.  I've used both extensively.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top