Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2010 11:40:41 PM EDT
Any thoughts, how do you like it. Would a hogue handguard be better. I am looking for a handguard for a 204 ruger varmint rifle build
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Have both the VTAC and a DPMS.  For the Cost the DPMS is hard to beat if you got a mill and dont mind cutting some slots and drill and tap a sling stud or 2.

the Vtac is nice with all its slots allready done lots of places to add rail or studs if that is your thing. Installition is a 2 day afair as your bonding a nut to the upper with loctite 271 overnight.  A section of drill rod matching the DIA of the gas tube hole on the JP VTAC is a helpful.  Note U have to use 271 or better, grease will not cut it. You still use grease on the barrel nut.

I think JP could of made the tube a little different to install.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a hassle to install the tube. It is light but I would probably go to the Troy TRX Rail they are very light and easier to install and keep lined up properly..

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The barrel nut/tube mount is a jam nut system. The tube is rock solid and the whole unit is very light. No Loctite is necessary and is ill advised. The correct installation tools are of course helpful.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The barrel nut/tube mount is a jam nut system. The tube is rock solid and the whole unit is very light. No Loctite is necessary and is ill advised. The correct installation tools are of course helpful.

http://www.jprifles.com/instructions/Rifle/JPHG.pdf
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No ... it's not a jam nut system

It installs just as Gregory_K said ... to do it correctly it is a 2 day deal bonding the tube mount to the barrel nut .. kind of a PITA but a nice rail all the same.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I heard it was kind of a PITA. This is my first build, but have an experianced buddy guiding me, he refuses to even touch it (which i am glad i want to do it myself) but he answers questions when they arrive.

asthetically i like the hogue foreend, like the one on RRA's. But i have never used them and i think the JP might be better quality and better at heat dispersion? what do you guys think?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Like others have said, the JP is a PITA to install, but it is a nice forearm.  Though now that I have used the Troy TRX Extreme, it would be hard to go back to the JP.  The Troy is lighter, thinner, easier to install and remove.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#8]
If you just want a basic FF tube without all the rails, the Hogue is nice.  They are now available in two styles; one with the over-molded rubber sleeve and the other with deep knurling on an all aluminum tube.  They are easy to install and are made well.  Much less expensive than the JP units.

Here's the overmolded one......

Here's the knurled one....

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I heard it was kind of a PITA. This is my first build, but have an experianced buddy guiding me, he refuses to even touch it (which i am glad i want to do it myself) but he answers questions when they arrive.

asthetically i like the hogue foreend, like the one on RRA's. But i have never used them and i think the JP might be better quality and better at heat dispersion? what do you guys think?  

If you really want the JP, it isn't as bad to install as these guys are making it out to be.  

There is some added time to let the loctite cure, but other than that it's pretty straight forward.  No harder than any other FF tube.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Hogue's are great rails for varmint builds especially for the money  ... my current varminter build has a Lurue 12.0 but I really don't need or use (except for a bi-pod) all that rail space but it was laying around from reworking another build so I used it on that build instead or buying another one ... but it is a huge waste of rail space on a varminter build.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Also you don't have to wait 24 hours.  I only waited about 2. loctite gets 90% of its strength after 60 mins in the temp I was working in, Full strength in 24 hours.

I used a section of drill rod to keep everything aligned and that made it a breeze.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The VTAC is pretty simple to install, it just takes longer.

I have read and even saw a post saying JP Enterprises personnel state that it can be done without the loctite.  The loctite just makes it easier to keep the first nut in place when you tighten down the second nut.  The opposing tension actually secures everything.  However, trying to hold the first nut in place without the loctite while getting the barrel installed seems pointless.

I installed the first nut with loctite then temporarily put the tube with a top rail in place.  I used an AFG (any rail mounted object like a carry handle would work) to align the tube with the upper and hold everything in place overnight.  Here is what it looked like drying:

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to everyone for the replies......One last questions? I think i am leaning towards the Knurled Hogue foreend because i think it looks better. But what about heat dispersion? I am not too worried about it because i am using a 24" heavy bull barrel, but with an intense day of P Dog shooting will it get really hot and stay hot because there are no vents in it compared to the VTec, or does it disperse heat pretty well?

thanks again
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for the replies......One last questions? I think i am leaning towards the Knurled Hogue foreend because i think it looks better. But what about heat dispersion? I am not too worried about it because i am using a 24" heavy bull barrel, but with an intense day of P Dog shooting will it get really hot and stay hot because there are no vents in it compared to the VTec, or does it disperse heat pretty well?

thanks again

I never used the knurled version but the overmold version I had on an old varmint build didn't seem to get that hot little warm maybe but not burn your hand hot but it also has the rubber insert which the knurled version doesn't ... I think you'll be fine with that rail though unless you get into some really rapid semi or automatic firing but then I doubt you'll be doing much of that while P Dog hunting

ETA for and clarity.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I set my VTac to be fit snug to the upper . A little fitting & no loc tight was used only grease. Makes it a like a one piece upper/hand guard.
I really like this hand guard.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, how do you attach a bipod to the knurled hogue forend?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok, how do you attach a bipod to the knurled hogue forend?

Sling swivel

ETA I have no experience with knurled version .. I think you may have to drill a tap a hole for the sling swivel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I have installed dozens of the JP Vtac hand guards and they are easy and you don't need
locktite too.
The fellows here on the forums that think they are hard to install probably don't
even know how to use a toilet bowl plunger

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have installed dozens of the JP Vtac hand guards and they are easy and you don't need
locktite too.
The fellows here on the forums that think they are hard to install probably don't
even know how to use a toilet bowl plunger

I'm smart enough to know when to flush.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Sheeet. Mine was easy to put on. Like a previous poster, I used a drill bit to keep things lined up.

It was harder to attach the 2' piece of rail which I attached a QD sling swivel stud to.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top