Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2010 8:06:15 PM EDT
I get these screws as hand tight as I can, but after repeated test cycling or whatever, I find that the carry handle shifts toward the rear about a millimeter.I have taken to tightening the screws to solid with a quarter. What is going on? am I going to screw anything up by screw tightening? Does my carry handle not fit properly?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
[edited to add video]

This is loose, but the point is clear..

are the rods too small for the rails? do you guys shim these or what?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That is normal amount of play.  I always push the handle forward, until it stops and tighten the nuts hand tight.  Under recoil, the carry handle will want to move forward, so if it is already all the way forward it should not move anymore and be more repeatable when it is removed and put back on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a large Craftsmen screwdriver in the slots  with a touch of blueloctite on the threads.  I go snug + 1/4 turn.   I don't remove them once on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:08:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I don’t know the torque spec, but should be no problem with tightening them up until the carry handle does not shift or come loose.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
65 inch pounds for leuopold high rings with a similar nut. So I would guess that would be good for the carryhandle as well. That's what I do with mine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top