Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2010 1:58:06 PM EDT
My SBR has one of Denny's stainless steel 11 1/2" CQB barrels on it.

At the time I built it, I wanted a heavy barrel but have since decided I would like to lighten it up significantly.  

I am considering fluting or re-contouring it.  Obviously the lightest contour will be lighter than fluting but I am curious by how much.  

Anyone have any idea?  

PS I'll have to admit to liking the look of fluting.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I should probably mention that one of the original reasons for the heavy barrel was that I hang a YHM 7.62 Phantom suppressor off of this barrel.   I can't imagine that it would deflect enough to worry about baffle strikes since I am shooting .223 through a .308 suppressor, but information that is probably needed to answer my question above.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Might be more cost effective to just get a new barrel in the contour you want.

personally I am not a fan of flutes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm thinking of having it taken down to pencil profile under the guards and fluted in front of the FSB.  Adco offers this work.

If you can tell me where to get a 11 1/2" stainless steel pencil profile, I will just buy a new barrel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking of having it taken down to pencil profile under the guards and fluted in front of the FSB.  Adco offers this work.

If you can tell me where to get a 11 1/2" stainless steel pencil profile, I will just buy a new barrel.

Stainless barrels generally require more material for a reason I can't recall. I remember reading that somewhere on ARFCOM.

The same article said that most of the time, you shouldn't go below medium profile with stainless.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
had ADCO reprofile a stainless barrel and bead blast.........awsome work, fast turn-around and resonable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
had ADCO reprofile a stainless barrel and bead blast.........awsome work, fast turn-around and resonable.

I emailed ADCO.  Pencil diameter is okay on stainless.

I need to get the barrel off the upper and get it to them.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Can we see some pics of that? I have never a SS barrel in any profile other than heavy barrel.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I had ADCO contour my HBAR 16" for $108 shipped. I saved around $50 by only sending them the barrel (no assembly/disassembly fee), but they did a hell of a job.

My rig lost around 1.5 lbs total, which I added right back on with accessories, but with that being said I saved about 1/2 the weight I would have originally had. They re-parkerized it and it did change the color a bit, however my front flip up was a perfect match so in the end I was EXTREMELY satisfied with their service.

It took 6 days from doorstep to doorstep.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top