Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2010 9:23:34 AM EDT
So my Del-Ton kit probably arrived and I'm wondering what tools I should buy.
I read the guide and I don't think I need all of that.
Roll pin punches I hear are basically a necessity so which place sells the set that comes with the free brass hammer?
On the guide it says some roll pin holders or something? Are those needed?
I have a bench vise and vise grips and most likely a wood block that will work so I "don't bend the ears".
What else? The vise block that goes in the mag well obviously.. Suggestions on the cheapest there?
I probably won't build another one for quite a few years (not cause I won't get hooked)

Thanks a lot

P.S. Anyone know anything of Dane Armory?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
And ill also do a proper first build thread once I get back to the states! Adios!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't wanna spend a ton on punch sets, etc., just get one of these: RLR350's EE ad

Building the lower only requires some patience, ingenuity, and a couple of punches. For an upper build, you'll need additional stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The first lower I did I didn't have any of the proper tools ... substituted small modelling files I had and drill bits for the punches. I got the lower together but did scratch it and scuff it in a couple of places. The two biggest issues I had were the bolt catch and trigger guard roll pins ... be careful with them. When I started the second one I started buying the tools and by the time I was on the forth one I had all the tools to do it correctly and what breeze it was with the proper tools. Good luck
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you don't wanna spend a ton on punch sets, etc., just get one of these: RLR350's EE ad

Building the lower only requires some patience, ingenuity, and a couple of punches. For an upper build, you'll need additional stuff.

I forgot about those!! I remember seeing those a while back and bookmarking them.
Can that plastic block go in the mag well for use in the bench vise?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot about those!! I remember seeing those a while back and bookmarking them.
Can that plastic block go in the mag well for use in the bench vise?

No it won't, AFAIK. It's not large/thick enough. Truth be told, you don't need the lower in a vise to build it. I built mine on the kitchen counter, holding it between my legs for a few portions. A vise would be helpful, but is not necessary.

The trickiest part for me was the front takedown pin/detent/spring. I kept launching the spring and detent into the ARFCom-approved plastic bag. Using a razor blade to hold the detent down did the trick.

The fragile area is the triggerguard pin, or more specifically the ears on the lower. I used a Coke bottle cap under the bottom ear, and lightly tapped the pin with a small hammer until everything was seated. Then I used a nail set for the last couple of taps.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright yeah f it. Ill just order the basic kit eh? You think those extra screws are needed
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I just used a tack hammer and duct tape.  you may need something flat like a utility blade to hold some detents and springs down at times.  It took me 3 hours, but that's while watching American Idol (don't judge me)
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The basic kit is all you need unless you plan on tapping the rear takedown spring hole for a set screw.

Mine took about 2 hours and three beers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top