Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 10:54:15 AM EDT
I may just be stupid and/or not thinking this through.

I bought a complete BCM upper receiver from someone here on arfcom with M4 ramps cut.  My intentions are to put a 14.5" (w/ perm FH) barrel on this lower.  Well, do I need M4 ramps on the barrel extension or will it work reliably if the barrel does not have cut ramps?

I intended on getting a DTI barrel assembly(affordability), but I just found out they arent M4 cut.  So, I am not sure what to do now.

Should I find a barrel with the cuts and move on(I dont know who to get this from now), or should I just sell the upper and get a complete upper assembly from one of our vendors.

Rod
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You do not want to run a barrel without the M4 cuts with an upper receiver that has them.  You can run a barrel with M4 cuts in a standard upper (no cuts), but not the other way around.  If you are buying a barrel for an upper with M4 cuts get one with a barrel extension that has matching cuts.  Somewhere on here there is a thread with a picture that shows why this is a bad idea.  I'll see if I can find it.

ETA  The following thread was about the same issue and the picture that I was talking about is about 2/3 of the way down the page: m4 cuts on non m4 barrel.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I didnt think it was a good idea.  Seems like the bullet tip would get caught as well as other issues that I havent even thought of yet.

So... where is a good palce to look for a barrel assembly.

Or, is someone interested in an upper!!  Yeah, I know that comment should go to the EE.

If I cant find a barrel PDQ, I will just order a compelte BCM barrel assembly.

Rod
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You need a barrel with the M4 cuts in order for it to work with you cut upper.

Check here for some barrels with M4 cuts
www.bravocompanyusa.com

Rainier Arms
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, I didnt think it was a good idea.  Seems like the bullet tip would get caught as well as other issues that I havent even thought of yet.

So... where is a good palce to look for a barrel assembly.

Or, is someone interested in an upper!!  Yeah, I know that comment should go to the EE.

If I cant find a barrel PDQ, I will just order a compelte BCM barrel assembly.

Rod

I picked up a 14.5 from ADCO about a year and a half ago and they did the permanent attachment of the flash-hider for me as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Just ordered a BCM upper assembly.

Will be putting the compete upper in the EE.

Rod
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top