Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2010 10:19:21 AM EDT
First off, I’m new with these AR rifles so I’m still doing the research to ease my mind before I jump right into them.  I’m looking to build an AR chambered in .308.  I’ve been looking for uppers and lowers as well as part kits for .308 but I’m assuming most of these kits are built for the .223 and comparable.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for the .308 components needed?  I’d greatly appreciate it!

Also,  as far as the uppers and lowers does the quality differ that much between brands?  I'm looking and they seem to be the same designs with different labels and such.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
it's called an AR-10

you can get an ar15 in .308 but the cartridges are too long to be fed through the magwell so you'd be loading one shot at a time...

also, you can get an ar15 chambered in 7.62x39 which is the same round an ak shoots and the same diameter as a .308

*eta:

armalite invented the AR-10, so that's where i'd start looking for parts.  other companies do make them, just be sure you're getting AR-10 parts, not AR-15 parts.  they're mostly not interchangeable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
DPMS .308 rifles
They also have parts...

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
300 Fireball or Whisper, 30 caliber in 223 case.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
LaRue OBR <–––– END THREAD
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I'm mistaken but wouldn't the 2 30 cal rounds necked down in a 223 case be a real dog?  I can't imagine they would out perform either a straight 223 or the 308 at greater distances.  I guess I really need to decide what caliber I'm planning on building.  Overall,  I wanted to build a gun that I could shoot and hunt in Iowa with.  Legally to hunt in my state,  you need 243 or larger.  Decisions decisions!
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a DPMS LR308T a couple years ago. It was a little troublesome in the beginning, but it runs good now. I bought it with the intent of upgrading various parts as needed or wanted.

Since I bought it, all I've changed is the grip, installed a RRA 2 stage trigger and put on a Miculek comp in place of the factory flash hider. It's accurate
reliable and not too long or heavy. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm planning on building one on CMMG's lower, that accepts G3/HK91/CETME Mags.

That lower is expensive as hell, but mags are only about $2.00/ea.

I'll probably build the upper as well, using mostly DPMS parts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LaRue OBR <–––– END THREAD

So shiny.

Not all of us have that kind of dough.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Research the 300 Fireball, there are whole sites dedicated to that caliber.  It's necked UP not down, it's almost a straight wall case.

It performs very well both supersonice and subsonic which is what is what designed for.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm mistaken but wouldn't the 2 30 cal rounds necked down in a 223 case be a real dog?  I can't imagine they would out perform either a straight 223 or the 308 at greater distances.  I guess I really need to decide what caliber I'm planning on building.  Overall,  I wanted to build a gun that I could shoot and hunt in Iowa with.  Legally to hunt in my state,  you need 243 or larger.  Decisions decisions!

That's prettymuch a 22-250. The 243 is actually a necked down 308. Both are available in the long chassis. Look at the Remington R-10 I believe.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Remington R-25.  Also, 6.5Grendel and 6.8 SPC would fit the bill.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top