Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2009 3:50:22 PM EDT
I was wondering what size roll pin holders and roll pin punches I would need, for building an AR-15.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was wondering what size roll pin holders and roll pin punches I would need, for building an AR-15.

1/8" roll pin punch and holder for the rear trigger guard pin.

3/32 roll pin punch and holder for bolt catch. You can buy specialized punches for this from Brownells that are profiled to help avoid scratching the receiver, though these are not needed.

5/32 pin punch for trigger pins.

This is what you need for a lower.

If you need to remove a gas tube, the proper size for that is a 5/64 roll pin punch.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Read the sticky in the build it yourself section...they have pictures and everything.  Punches are needed more for taking things apart.  You will need them for gas tube and FSB removal.  But to put a lower together they are not needed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get a nice set from SAW if you want a top shelf armorers tool kit.

M16/M4 Armorer's Tool Kit
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Roll pin holders are for sissies. Or guys that do roll pins for a living. A cheap Harbor Freight set of RP punches has lasted me for years. Not just for AR builds either.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top