Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2009 12:41:53 PM EDT
Ok, as soon as I get my ASAP plate from Brownells, I'll be finishing up my lower.  Wanted to know what the best way is to secure the castle nut, Staking, or loctite?

I'm thinking staking, since it will be easier to remove if need be later.  How would you stake it??  I mean exactly where at?

I also thought of a small drop of blue loctite, but it tends to hold too well.

Or would it be ok, to tighten it down, and leave it go??

I have a good universal AR wrench, so getting it tight isn't a problem
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't hose it down with loctite,that's not the way to do it.Stake it with a big hammer and chisel with a point on it.First you tighten the locknut,then stake it cleanly right next to one of the 4 notches in the nut that is against the plate.Don't go crazy, just as long as some metal is displaced into the notch.That's it.....and it won't go anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
try a wrap of teflon tape on the threads and leave the hammer in the drawer
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Stake it with an automatic center punch.  You'll have to "hit" it a dozen tmes, but it will displace the metal properly like the TM says to.  

Don't use threadlocker, it can be a PITA later on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a center punch I got at Sears and a hammer.  A couple of whacks at one of the cut outs to displace some metal into the slot and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]

This is how I did it.
Center punch and hammer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u321/1catquak/IMG_1460.jpg

This is how I did it.
Center punch and hammer.

Nobody ever answered the guys question.  He has a Magpul ASAP which is cast not stamped steel.  The casting is much harder then a stamped plate, which would be much harder to stake, but not impossible.  I have the ASAP and I just put a few drops of BLUE not red loctite on it and tightned the castle nut down.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I made a staking tool out of a broken punch.  I used a grinding wheel and made this,

I then used a hammer and made several light to medium strikes to produce this,

The key is to flow the metal from the plate into the castle nut.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u321/1catquak/IMG_1460.jpg

This is how I did it.
Center punch and hammer.

Nobody ever answered the guys question.  He has a Magpul ASAP which is cast not stamped steel.  The casting is much harder then a stamped plate, which would be much harder to stake, but not impossible.  I have the ASAP and I just put a few drops of BLUE not red loctite on it and tightned the castle nut down.  

You have a good point on the ASAP being cast, never really thought about that.  I guess I'll try things out with a good punch, and see what I get....
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
To ask a stupid question, how is the best way to go about getting the plate off if it is staked? I've been trying to get mine off for some time now and can't seem to break it free from the staking on an LMT lower.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To ask a stupid question, how is the best way to go about getting the plate off if it is staked? I've been trying to get mine off for some time now and can't seem to break it free from the staking on an LMT lower.

I use a magazine well block inserted in my vice, and a breaker bar attached to my Brownell's stock wrench. Slight tug, spins right off.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
IMO the metal on my ASAP plate was TOO SOFT.

I staked a regular end plate and then an ASAP plate all in one sitting and the staking on the standard plate was way cleaner cause it was a much harder metal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Blue Loc-tite.  Just a few drops.  You will be able to break it free with a little elbow grease, but it will hold secure.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top