Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2009 4:13:23 AM EDT
So after extensive reading and studying and some questions answered here by you wonderful people, I have finally decided on the barrel I'm going to get for my new build.
It's a Wilson Arms 16" M4 barrel coming from Del-Ton....
Now I've read a bit on the whole chrome lining thing and I get the purpose, but is it realy worth it????
It's only $45 to add it as an option, so that's not to bad, but what is the actual dissadvantage of not having it? And is there ANY dissadvantage of having a chrome lined barrel?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Chrome lined:  better corrosion resistance, longer life

Non Chrome lined: slightly better accuracy potential (on average).
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:57:26 AM EDT
[#2]
When in doubt, go with chrome.

My 2¢
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
$243 for their chrome lined barrel isn't bad, but I think you can find a better chrome lined barrel out there for the same price range or a good bit cheaper.  Just my opinion.

edit:  Like this one
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
well the other one I've been debating on is the YHM fluted one. Their's come chrome lined for $190. The Del-Ton comes with all the other stuff I need though like the barrel nut and gas tube and everything. So I think it was worth it to pay a little more and get everything at once.
That Daniel Deffense is nice at a really good price too though. Hmmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
well the other one I've been debating on is the YHM fluted one. Their's come chrome lined for $190. The Del-Ton comes with all the other stuff I need though like the barrel nut and gas tube and everything. So I think it was worth it to pay a little more and get everything at once.
That Daniel Deffense is nice at a really good price too though. Hmmmmmm.....

YHM isn't bad, and they're often a good bang for the buck, but the daniel defense is very likely a better steel, and about $20 cheaper.  That difference will pay for your barrel nut and gas tube. The del-ton, are you going to keep the standard sight and handguards, or possibly upgrade in the future?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I already have a quad rail ready to be put on when i get the barrel. I was just going to order it with the regular ones so I could have an extra set for whatever reason
I was going to order it with the two rail gas block as well since I have my own front sight already.
And I don't want a flash hider on it as I know which one I want to get for that.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the Daniel Defense barrels.  I just bought one a couple weeks ago.  The price was right and it had the options that I wanted.  I got the chrome lined barrel, with the front site base and front site post already installed, with the handguard cap and barrel nut.  It was only $225 if I remember correctly.  I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
that's why I love this site... so many good opinions and actual hands on experience...

you guys have helped my build in a major way
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top