Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2009 4:40:38 PM EDT
hey everybody,
i've decided to build my first ar. since i live in the great state of connecticut, i have to use an a2 style stock. i have searched high and low for an answer to this, but can't seem to find it. is there a reason for choosing a mid-length upper or a carbine length upper? i am set on a 16" barrel, as this will be a range toy, home defense, SHTF type of gun. i have read that a mid-length system is less abusive to the gun than a carbine length. is there any other reason? since i have the a2 stock, is there anything between these systems with that buffer? i see that the collapsible stocks have different weighted buffers, is that something i don't need to worry about with a stock like the a2? if there are already topics on this, just link me to them. as i said, my searches here and with google turned up nothing useful. thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to ARF. The search feature here is junk, btw.

Anyway, the differences between the two systems are pretty much as you stated. I like the look of the CAR length systems, and that's what I primarily build.

Buffers shouldn't be an issue for you.

And in reality, the CAR length systems aren't too bad. It's when you start getting into the super-short barrel lengths that people start seeing issues with the gas systems. A standard 16" barrel should function fine with either system.

[/$0.02]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=466325

Look in there for a dozen-odd links to repeated variations on the "carbine vs midlength" theme.

With the direct gas system of the AR, balanced performance is achieved by matching the correct gas system length to the barrel length (and chambering).  This is due to the distance the gas travels in the system as well as timing issues.  Midlength is a more optimum gas system length for a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Welcome to ARF. The search feature here is junk, btw.

that would explain why i couldn't find anything. i was starting to think it was me.
of course, my first post would have to be a duplicate.
i shall read the posts recommended by gamma762. i will probably go for the mid-length, but knowing a bit more can't hurt. i shall post pics when i am done. thanks guys.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top