Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 3:02:20 PM EDT
I purchased and installed a RRA LPK and ive been messin' with the grip, safety spring + detent, and switch but its not crisp at all. It feels real loose and switches w/ little to no effort/authority. Ive had a few RRA factory lowers with the STAR safety switch and they are solid, and crisp when switch from safe to fire. I am assuming the safety spring is weak or the actual switch is out of specs (?) cause there is a tiny bit of play. Im sure others have had this issue so what can be done to solve it? Stronger safety spring? Thank you in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the detent hole clear of burrs or debris? It's possible the the detent isn't going all the way though, and therefore can't make positive contact.

Try swapping a known good selector from another rifle. Try a known good detent. Try a known good spring.

Use known good parts to narrow it down, and take it from there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I would take off the pistol grip to see if the detent is installed correctly and if the spring was the proper length.

This weekend I bought a lower at the gun show.  The rear take down pin did not "catch" when fully out and fully in.  I removed the stock to find the detent was installed backwards.  The flat was against the pin and the pointed end was against the spring.  I reversed it and it corrected the problem.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Answer to 1st question: Yes, it is clear of any burrs/debris.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Ill try to narrow it down.

One other question. Are there such things as weak safety detent springs or is this more likely due to the length. The safety does "catch" but its loose.

I probably should have mentioned that Im running a MIAD grip, could the spring well be too deep? Ill try it with another grip and see.

Thank you for the help. Ill let you know if those suggestions narrowed it down or fixed it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
You may be on to something in regard to spring length. I've seen different grips with varying depths for the spring holes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Could also be a loose grip screw!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If the hole in the grip is too long, take a small diameter finishing nail       ()===       cut off about 1/8 inch and drop it down in the hole to shorten the gap. Make sure the head is on top to keep the spring from slipping over the nail. Then put the spring and detent in, should do the trick.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, you guys rock, thanks for all the suggestions. My first post and plenty of quality responses.

Correct Answer:

The RRA LPK included the wrong safety spring, it was the same dimension (length, tension) as the two detent springs for the lower retaining pins, if thats what theyre called, but it had a different color/coating. I happened to have another complete RRA LPK and compared springs and sure enough, they included the wrong spring. The correct safety spring was actually shorter but much stiffer. Ill be getting this replaced w/ a new LPK from my local dealer.

Thank you once again for the suggestions, they solved my problem.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
You could also do the 1/8 ball bearing mod and fix the problem.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I purchased and installed a RRA LPK and ive been messin' with the grip, safety spring + detent, and switch but its not crisp at all. It feels real loose and switches w/ little to no effort/authority. Ive had a few RRA factory lowers with the STAR safety switch and they are solid, and crisp when switch from safe to fire. I am assuming the safety spring is weak or the actual switch is out of specs (?) cause there is a tiny bit of play. Im sure others have had this issue so what can be done to solve it? Stronger safety spring? Thank you in advance for your help.

Make sure you used the CORRECT detent and CORRECT spring! It is easy to use a pivot pin spring and detent by accident.
Double check them.

Until that day,
Darkop
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top