Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2009 9:29:29 PM EDT
OK guys, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what I want. Goal is a lightweight, fast swinging rifle that is accurate (1moa or less). Will be used primarily for hunting coyotes, and range time. So here's what I have so far, let me know if something seems off or if there is a better way to go with something. Also if you guys think this build will not meet my goals, please let me know and what I can do to change that.

Barrel - Oly 16" chromoly.. undecided as to heavy profile or lightweight profile...
heavy contour - Heavy
light contour - Lightweight
I assume I will be needing a carbine length gas system for this, correct?

Upper - Spikes

Lower - Spikes

BCG - Spikes complete

LPK - Stag

Gas block - Stag low profile Stag gas block

Handguard - FF YHM FF tube  .... Does this come with the barrel nut? Better options?

Charging handle - Spikes

Stock and buffer - undecided as of now, still researching.

Any thoughts? If anyone knows of a better product for similar price, or better price on these, let me know. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on what you said you were going to be using it for I would go with the lightweight. Also, I would skip the rail unless you have so much stuff that you want to hang off it that you just have to have it. Even then I would consider the MOE forend and put rail sections on it as needed. Some nay-say the YHM rail but I have 3 of them and no complaints about any of them and yes they come with the barrel nut.

Your link for the barrel doesn't work. I would try and get as much as you can from Spikes to save on shipping and use the coupon code "arfcom" for savings but may still work out better to buy some parts from others. They have DPMS LPK and you will hear some people complain about them but once again, I have 2 with no complaints. I would pick that up at Spikes as well and then send it out to Bill Springfield for a tune up.

If you are going to go with a rail anyway I would consider a middy and put a specter length rail on it. If you're in no rush I would pick up a Spikes lower and then start here or here and customize it to your liking.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The free float tube will come with the barrel nut, if you want the filler piece for the other end then you need to order that seperatly.

Why not order the spikes LPK?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#3]
What barrel are you looking at?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Banshee - I was actually thinking of going with the knurled tube type, it's aways down the page for $44. The price seems too good, that's why I was wondering about the barrel nut. They have a barrel nut for sale below it I believe for like $35 or so. I don't need the rails, thats just something to get hung up in the brush.

I thought about going with the Spikes LPK, but after reading some stuff I heard that the Stag had a better trigger from the start. While I know this trigger still isn't going to be up to par, or my liking, it might be a little bit until I get money to upgrade to a better one so I might as well have the best I can for the time being.

I fixed the links for the barrels, both are Olympic 16" standards, one is the heavy profile one is the lightweight.

Do you guys think this setup will shoot 1MOA or less? Also the Spikes M16 BCG should work fine with a carbine buffer system right?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
bump please, anyone?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I would skip the Oly barrel. I just don't feel they build a good product and their is too high a chance it will be out of spec.

ETA: you might look at some of the YHM barrels for the same price

http://www.jsesurplus.com/yhmar15barrelcarbinelength16-1.aspx

Or some DPMS barrels are $150 for the lightweight version at jsesurplus. Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also the Spikes M16 BCG should work fine with a carbine buffer system right?

You should be good to go!

I would take a look at the YHM barrels...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate the input on the barrel, I've read some good things about the Oly barrels being very accurate for a good price, which is why that was my choice. I would be more open to the YHM barrel but it is chrome lined, I'm looking for a non CLed barrel for accuracy purposes, not SHTF scenario. Any other input on a better barrel for my application is very welcome!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#9]
though YHM barrels are new I doubt you will have complaints about the barrels accuracy. Danner130 is getting sub MOA groups with his YHM barrels. Unless your going to step up to a WOA or better barrel I doubt you will find something better.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=464614

Have you thought about what type of ammo you are going to be shooting out of your rifle? If you plan on shooting longer ranges you may want a 1x8, or 1x7 twist to stabilize the heavier ammo.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Well here's the thing... I was setting a modest goal with 1MOA because I am trying to build for a modest price. I would really prefer to be 3/4MOA or less, actually I would love to be around the 1/2MOA mark. I understand that great accuracy comes with great costs, along with great skill. I'm looking for the most accurate barrel possible for a fair price, but I'm not afraid to pay a little more for something that is a proven shooter and will make my odds of getting the kind of accuracy I'm looking for that much better.

I started  a barrel thread here . There was some question there, and I didn't get a lot of firm answers other than "get something match and expensive", or "that barrel will drive tacks". I also decided that the 16" would work for me.

I also think that a 1 in 9 twist would be fine for me, since I don't plan on shooting any heavy bullets really, 55-65 grains will be plenty for my coyote hunting applications as I typically am only shooting within a couple hundred yards tops, and the lighter bullets are a little easier on furs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My bad on the rail, it just spits you out on the page so I assumed you meant a railed one. To be honest I am not sure if the FF tubes come with a barrel nut but the one pictured below the tube is the one for their FF rails. Perhaps shoot them an e-mail to be sure.

As for LPKs I wouldn't get wrapped up in the trigger pull from one manufacture to another in a stock setup. Remember these are service rifles and have an acceptable trigger for what they are designed for. I doubt there is much difference from one stock trigger to another. The Bill Springfield tune will only run you $35 for a 4lb or $50 for a 3lb. I am yet to get one done by him but have only heard good things about him. Here's a link so you can check him out.

Quoted:
Banshee - I was actually thinking of going with the knurled tube type, it's aways down the page for $44. The price seems too good, that's why I was wondering about the barrel nut. They have a barrel nut for sale below it I believe for like $35 or so. I don't need the rails, thats just something to get hung up in the brush.

I thought about going with the Spikes LPK, but after reading some stuff I heard that the Stag had a better trigger from the start. While I know this trigger still isn't going to be up to par, or my liking, it might be a little bit until I get money to upgrade to a better one so I might as well have the best I can for the time being.

I fixed the links for the barrels, both are Olympic 16" standards, one is the heavy profile one is the lightweight.

Do you guys think this setup will shoot 1MOA or less? Also the Spikes M16 BCG should work fine with a carbine buffer system right?

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top