Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2009 6:59:56 AM EDT
I recently put a STAG LPK into a lower.  It fit fine and everything worked including the safety.

The issue that I have is that the safety is loose.  It fits in the lower properly but is rotates slightly when it is on safe as well as when it's on fire.  I've compared it to my other rifles and it's definately not right.  I suspect that the plunger and the safety might not be made quite right but am not sure.

Any idea what might cause it?  Anyone seen this before?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I would remove the grip and check the spring to make sure it does not have a kink in it or something and make sure the detent is pointing the correct way. If you are sure you have the selector detent and spring in correctly then the only thing left would be the selector itself or a lower problem. If you have another lower remove those (detent, spring, selector) and install in that lower and see how they fit ... if they are loose then youo have a out of spec lower problem.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a lower that had a problem with the selector being loose. Not sure if the selector hole was high or the grip too low. When I checked mine the detent went far enough up, the hole on the grip was not too deep, and the selector looked fine at the grooved area. I cut 3 or 4 coils off another spring and dropped it in the grip before the full length spring was put in and it fixed the problem on mine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.  I'll check it out and get back with you all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I guess I got a safety that was out of spec.  The plunger was good but the safety itself was out of spec.  I checked it with another rifle that I have and it's definately the safety.  I think the STAG safety was probably under milled because it shows extensive wear on the plunger as well as the safety itself.  The plunger works fine in another rifle and I measured it with a set of calipers and they are identical.  

I could return it to STAG for a replacement and I'm sure they would make it right but I'm about to leave home for a few months and probably be too much hassle to send it back and get a replacement.

I'll just buy another one somewhere.

Thanks for all the help.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top