Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2009 9:07:58 PM EDT
Okay, I've got a bad case the Black Rifle Fever.  I’ve been lurking on this forum for about a month now, reading everything I can, and I think I’ve reached information overload.  So much so, I’m about to have a brain aneurism.  There seems to be a myriad of manufacturers with plenty of opinions on which components are best.

I'm on a budget and I'm not looking to build a 500 yard tack driver, just a plinking gun and I admit I like the look.  I intend on perforating a lot of paper plates and drop the occasional coon or possum that trespasses, so I don’t believe I need to drop $2k.  I have zero AR experience, I like the idea of building it myself, having the flexibility of the build process and learning about the firearm in the process.  Of course, all this as the budget allows, and I’ll pick up the pieces over the next few months.

I've got my eye on a Tactical Innovations T15 striped upper and lower for $189.99+10.50(S/H).  It has SS bushings and pivot pins.  Seems like a nice upgrade for the standard forged receiver, but are they really needed?  For the LPK, I think I’ll get one from Bill Springfield with the 4lb. trigger job for $119.  With an investment of $320, I believe this combo will give me a good foundation for my first build.  The remainder of the upper parts and furniture will come later.

If there’s a better option out there, or I’ve grossly miscalculated please let me know.  I would appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you have already made the first investment by reading as much as you can. your lower plan sounds solid. please take in to considerations when asking things like "which is better" that everyone is going to have their own opinions.

I build my guns for what reason I will be using them for and my second reason is because I want to have them that way.

So remeber that.

I like your plans to build it your self, there is no greater reward to see a rifle that you built with your own hands function flawlessly and you take pride that you installed every single functioning part of it and see it  shoot a group of rounds the size of a dime
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Okay, I've got a bad case the Black Rifle Fever.  I’ve been lurking on this forum for about a month now, reading everything I can, and I think I’ve reached information overload.  So much so, I’m about to have a brain aneurism.  There seems to be a myriad of manufacturers with plenty of opinions on which components are best.

I'm on a budget and I'm not looking to build a 500 yard tack driver, just a plinking gun and I admit I like the look.  I intend on perforating a lot of paper plates and drop the occasional coon or possum that trespasses, so I don’t believe I need to drop $2k.  I have zero AR experience, I like the idea of building it myself, having the flexibility of the build process and learning about the firearm in the process.  Of course, all this as the budget allows, and I’ll pick up the pieces over the next few months.

I've got my eye on a Tactical Innovations T15 striped upper and lower for $189.99+10.50(S/H).  It has SS bushings and pivot pins.  Seems like a nice upgrade for the standard forged receiver, but are they really needed?  For the LPK, I think I’ll get one from Bill Springfield with the 4lb. trigger job for $119.  With an investment of $320, I believe this combo will give me a good foundation for my first build.  The remainder of the upper parts and furniture will come later.

If there’s a better option out there, or I’ve grossly miscalculated please let me know.  I would appreciate the feedback.

This might be an option: LINK

Lots of excellent feedback on these AR's.

Gene

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top