Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2009 9:15:43 AM EDT
For me it's not by much. I decided to try to build a lower. So far the price is in at $377.18.
Spikes lower
Spikes M4 stock kit
DPMS LPK
Tools to build (punch kit & hammer)
Plus tax, shipping & FFL fee

And that's with no upgrades. I could have gotten a built lower with a Magpul stock for about the same $.

Not worth it to me.  I'm not building again.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the time you look for deals..... But when you use better quality Spikes lower and such you should plan that into your costs and savings. What does the Spike complete lower cost? Iknow locally they run $215 stripped....

ETA Spike Magpul complete lower is $430 on their site.  So you have saved some pennies and hopefully learn something about building an AR.... Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never really thought it to be about the money, really. But it was easier for me to buy parts on one-by-one basis over a period of several months, rather than shelling out a $1,000 or so all at once. It's easier to hide from my wife!

I also get the satisfaction of having something I helped bring into the world rather than picked up off a gun rack.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Most of the time you look for deals..... But when you use better quality Spikes lower and such you should plan that into your costs and savings. What does the Spike complete lower cost? Iknow locally they run $215 stripped....

Haha well thats the thing... Spikes lowers are on sale for $90 right now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Building isn't always cheaper, depends on the quality and amount of different components... The nice thing about doing it yourself is you can get EXACTLY what you want on your gun.  My next assembly will have M4 feed ramps, chrome barrel, ergo ambi grip, YHM FF LW rail, built on a spikes lower.  My total cost including everything but optics should be right under $800.  There is no way I could buy a new assembled rifle with these features for that price.  Also you have the knowledge gained, which is worth something.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep. I saw that & was pissed.  The M4 stock kit I got was $107 with the shipping & tax cause I'm in FL.

But I'm in the build already may as well finish it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For me it's not by much. I decided to try to build a lower. So far the price is in at $377.18.
Spikes lower
Spikes M4 stock kit
DPMS LPK

And that's with no upgrades. I could have gotten a built lower with a Magpul stock for about the same $.

Well you don't have to buy the tools for the next one ... or the next ... or the ... well you get the idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#8]
About the only time it's cheaper is when you want something that isn't available off the shelf.  

You could buy that complete rifle and then buy all the parts you want added to it.  Toss the stuff you're not going to use that came with the complete rifle, and then add on all your new parts.  Or you could just buy all the parts you want to begin with and assemble them.

And if you're jumping on the first available part that you want and paying scalper's prices, you'll never save any money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Building may or may not be cheaper but it sure gives me the satisfaction of knowing how to operate, service, troubleshoot and build an AR properly.  It's enjoyable!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont look at how much it will cost.........for my builds, I bought parts a little at a time, and the parts I wanted. I began to buy tools every paycheck, I read and viewed the 'how to' videos.............at the end it felt good that I built them, and now I have the knowledge of how they work!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]
You fail, I put together a Spike's lower 2 weeks ago for $160.
The idea in building it yourself, is that you shop and save on the parts.

Cost of the whole rifle? $660
If i walked into a gun store, do you suppose I'd see a carbine for under $700??
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy an upper for the average $400 dollar price and your slightly below or just about what it would cost for a brand new complete rifle with the same parts.

My lower assembly:
$150 del tons stripper lower(including ffl)
$60 lower parts kit
$65 complete m4 stock

Tools dont count as they are not part of the rifle and can be reused to build more rifles. They basically pay for themselves. Buy as many as the parts as possible from the same store to save on shipping, especially if you need other things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
As was said, it's all about what you want. I've built about 30 lowers and bought about 10. I've modified the workings of some of the one that I bought already build then used the parts that I pulled out in other builds.

Spike's should be at the Lakeland Show this coming weekend with some really good prices if anybody's in the area...

Right now I can pick up a RRA 2 Stage complete lower for $300.00 but I believe Spike's (Badazzar15)  is working on a custom lower for me. I've got to do my avatar in a file that they can use in their laser engraver. It doesn't hurt my feelings to let a genius do the work for me sometimes. I'll be picking it up but not at the show.

Spec
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]

I built the lower one today.

spikes sl15 lower $90
armalite lpk $60
magpul miad grip $35
milspec buffer tube, sspikes buffer, buffer spring, magpul moe stock $110 (in the mail on its way)

$325 with transfer fee and shipping. Complete. to me thats cheap because its everything i want exactly
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I am building my first ar and I am gonna get the complete lower from spikes and shop for a good upper, should be under 800 all together without optics.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]
You know what they say, "It's not the destination, it's the journey". Build it yourself and you'll have a better understanding of how all the little parts whirl and twirl when you squeeze the trigger. That said, maybe only engineers are screwed up enough to think that way...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Look what I  built....or....look what I bought....anybody can BUY something...and enjoy the fact..you built it.......
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#18]
prices are coming down on parts, but sometimes there is still a premium as stocks get replenished.  before the election i built a lower and bought a del-ton middy upper w/ a yhm ff setup and total cost including shipping was $735, but since then stocks have changed, grips have changed and now have parts that are building themselves into another rifle or i may sell them and get more ammo, who knows, but i personally enjoy building myself.

what stock did you get for $107?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I hate to hear you're not going to build again. This past year I starting building lowers and have completed about ten thus far.  The cost of tools was not figured into the cost of the build but my average lower costs about $230-250 to complete.  I could have bought compete lowers for $275-325 plus state sales tax.  That $230 price is for Stag, Rock River, Essential Arms and Tactical Innovation lowers completed with quality LPK's and 6-position stocks.  I've also built some TI billet lowers for less than $400.  

Besides the cost savings of building, I've enjoyed the experience, learned more about the internal mechanics of the AR platform of weapons and I'm putting together units that fit the exact specifications I want. Right now I'm putting together a lower than will be used just for my hunting caliber uppers - 204 Ruger and 6.8SPC.  The lower is a T15BDX with standard internals except for a Timney trigger and Magpul ACS stock.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Tahawus put it perfectly!! two hundred here and two hundred there is pretty easy to fly under the radar.......when I first added up the cost of my rifle it was $2200 without optics. so I guess I knew it was going to cost a little more....ten month spending plan and still have a happy wife. priceless
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/IMG_1503.jpg

spikes sl15 lower $90
armalite lpk $60
magpul miad grip $35
milspec buffer tube, sspikes buffer, buffer spring, magpul moe stock $110 (in the mail on its way)

$325 with transfer fee and shipping. Complete. to me thats cheap because its everything i want exactly

How is the Infidel graphic attached to the lower?  Where did you have it done?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

spikes sl15 lower $90
armalite lpk $60
magpul miad grip $35

Spike's does it
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

spikes sl15 lower $90

armalite lpk $60

magpul miad grip $35

probably laser engraved, by spikes

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I might have considered buying, but given that nothing available (and legal in CA), was what I wanted, I had to build.  It cost me more, especially with tools investment, but absolutely worth it.  Fact is, I will be doing an AR-10 next.  - Phil
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spikes lower
Spikes M4 stock kit
DPMS LPK

Well you don't have to buy the tools for the next one ... or the next ... or the ... well you get the idea.

This.

Deduct however much you spent on tools. Plus knowing that good parts went into the build has it's own value.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Tools? What tools? I have put together 2 lowers with a razor blade, cutting board, claw hammer, vice grips, allen wrenches, screw drivers, duct tape, and electrical tape, and they came out fine. You cant add tools to a build.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
well it used to be cheaper to build one. Election Day 2008 changed all that
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, you shouldn't need to buy any tools. Most the time you don't even need a punch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#29]
My son (he's 15) has been saving for a while and had around 475.00 he could spend on something of his choosing. He wanted to blow it on an I-Touch and video games. Talked him into his first AR by offering to pay the difference. Building a 16" middy from Del-Ton on a Spikes lower for 600.00. It will be a good solid build to learn on until he really gets the upgrade bug and knows what he wants. I threw in 3 Pmags and some ammo to seal the deal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#30]
All depends on what you building. I built my first AK, my only AK and it was couple hundred more then buying one. Didnt know that until a few weeks after building it. I always do research on something after the fact. But I had a blast doing it, and take pride that I built the whole thing. Of course some AR'S are very easy if you get a complete upper and lower,  and few accessories and your done. Or go hardcore and assemble the upper and lower yourself. All depends on how much you want to wait and spend. It may be cheaper to buy one built, but are they in stock?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#31]
85 lower
50 LPK
50 stock
––––––––––––––
185 is that a lot?
Dealer fee you will pay either way. Shipping for complete lower will be cheaper than 3 separate shippings, so it is better to buy everything from one place or at least LPK and stock.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]
It is cheaper you just have to look and not always buy the popular brands like spike I found a local florida company that forgers their own lowers for cheap you just have to look for guys who are comming up. you get what you pay for but most gun parts are stamped from the same mold.
go to you gun store spend time getting to know the guy their. get a good rapport and you will get deals ak 47 will now coast you 500 in stead of 600 transfer fees will be at coast. you will be called when new parts com in and they will service and build your rifle for free. it takes time and patience.
i mis spoke the spikes lowers are now $85 with free shipping there're a good price.
Here is my first build and AR 15 finished this summer
tactical machinining muti cal lower stripped $115
dpms lpk $75
mil spec buffer tube with spring $60
magpull OD car stock $90
OD moe grip $25and
ODmoe hand guard $25 with rail
mbuis rear sight OD $45
complete upper 1/9 16" m4 profile barrel with bol tcarrer group $300
OD carbonite front grip $40 add in shipping and transfer fees
total $800 that the coast of a standard dpms sport tatical with no extras

http://i30.tinypic.com/x420hv.jpg

i mis spoke the spikes lowers are now $85 with free shipping there're a good price.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Here was my rational when I decided I wanted to build. Sorry if this is hard to follow.

the lowers are 50% off, or were.

$90 for the lower (regularly $180),
$10 bullet picto & color fill,
$5 for the laser engraving,
$15 maybe for shipping, and
$20 transfer fee.   SO around
$135 just for one stripped lower.

Then
$60 armalite lpk, (from a friend)
$45 for the MIAD (i know I could find them around $35 on the net but picked this one up so i wouldn't have to mess with Credit Card),
$110 for the MilSpec buffer kit with Magpul MOE stock and ST-T2 heavy buffer from spike's. (free shipping due to a shipping mistake)

So a complete failry decent lower, IMO, with the magpul goodies for around $355.

When on the Spike's website just for a complete lower with stock grip and stock, with color fill and engraving would be $290, plus $15 shipping and $20 transfer fee, around $325.
And THEN plus $100 for the MIAD grip ($40) and MOE stock ($60), to make it just like mine, $425 total.

I dunno this is the best, cheapest way I found to put together a spike's/magpul lower.

Sorry if this is confusing.  I tried to make it simple but my mind thinks weird sometimes and is hard to explain.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've never really thought it to be about the money, really. But it was easier for me to buy parts on one-by-one basis over a period of several months, rather than shelling out a $1,000 or so all at once. It's easier to hide from my wife!

I also get the satisfaction of having something I helped bring into the world rather than picked up off a gun rack.

+1000
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't consider tools to be a deduction cost since I had to buy them the 1st time.
The stock is the standard M4 kit with the T2 buffer.
If I waited on back ordered lists, & spent tons of time shopping around & snipping people on gun broker maybe I could have gotten a completed lower for about $300.
I work all sorts of hours & have tons going on, my time is worth more then a few dollars savings.
But that's me.  
The upper is a BCM completed I just ordered.  

I only wanted to build a lower to see what it was like.  My 2 AR's were off the shelf rifles.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#36]
You'll still pay––just not all at one time––-esp if you're going first class.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#37]
this one cost me $650 to put together. this also was my 2nd build.
Aero Precision lower

dpms lpk

magpul moe grip

now has magpul moe stock

matech buis

del-ton 16" complete mid length  upper

This one is my first build and it went well over $1000 but this one I built from top to bottom. No kits just parts from everywhere, and still not finished.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Shipping, tax and FFL fees don't really count.  As they would still apply even if you bought a complete assembled lower.

(EDIT well "tax" would only apply if you buy from a vendor in your state)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I've never been able to build for less than I could buy, the main reason is that when you buy a run of the mill AR you get regular shmo parts. I like high quality parts like Match Grade Barrels, Youngs National Match Bolt Carriers, Timney Triggers, Norgon mag Release etc. If you buy those things you bust the cheap right out of the budget, if you don't then you end up with cheap stuff. It's a pay to play system as I see it. Saving money is for those guys who buy used AK 47s and SKS rifles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tools? What tools? I have put together 2 lowers with a razor blade, cutting board, claw hammer, vice grips, allen wrenches, screw drivers, duct tape, and electrical tape, and they came out fine. You cant add tools to a build.

i did the same agree
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Not so much any more. The last two uppersI built ended up costing very close to what an assembled upper would have cost. The only difference is I was able to add the extras I wanted. There are some pretty good deals on uppers going on, or just ending.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Where you get free shipping from? Mine still says $11 for shipping.

Quoted:
It is cheaper you just have to look and not always buy the popular brands like spike I found a local florida company that forgers their own lowers for cheap you just have to look for guys who are comming up. you get what you pay for but most gun parts are stamped from the same mold.
go to you gun store spend time getting to know the guy their. get a good rapport and you will get deals ak 47 will now coast you 500 in stead of 600 transfer fees will be at coast. you will be called when new parts com in and they will service and build your rifle for free. it takes time and patience.
Here is my first build and AR 15 finished this summer
tactical machinining muti cal lower stripped $115
dpms lpk $75
mil spec buffer tube with spring $60
magpull OD car stock $90
OD moe grip $25and
ODmoe hand guard $25 with rail
mbuis rear sight OD $45
complete upper 1/9 16" m4 profile barrel with bol tcarrer group $300
OD carbonite front grip $40 add in shipping and transfer fees
total $800 that the coast of a standard dpms sport tatical with no extras

http://i30.tinypic.com/x420hv.jpg

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top