Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2009 5:27:43 PM EDT
I need a roll pin (aka tension pin) for the windage drum on an A2 upper receiver. It is a simple 1/16" x 3/4" roll pin which should be no more than $.50 cents. Brownells wants $4.20 plus shipping!!! I have checked the local hardware stores and the smallest they have is 3/32". Everyone I have asked just says the hardware store carries them (they don't). Anyone have a spare I could buy or know where I could get one? I have a 1/16" cotter pin in it now and it works but would really like to get a roll pin...Thanks....<><....:)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
So. does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced 1/16" x 3/4" roll pin?....<><....:)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Check your local hobby store.

A decent one that caters to RC Aircraft enthusiasts usually carries all kinds of miniaturized hardware.

ETA: Same goes for a decent hardware store.

If you're going to Lowe's or Home Depot you're in the wrong place.  
ACE/True Value usually carries the smaller stuff and has a better selection of the odds'n'ends that the others don't carry.
You're gonna have to dig through the bins.

I'd also recommend going to an actual fastener supplier but some of those require a commercial account.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]
WOA sells individual small parts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I have tried the local Ace and True Value hardware stores and the smallest I could find are 3/32". I will try a hobby shop/store and have contacted a manufacturer/distributor and I think they may be able to hrelp with a free "sample". The nice person I called there is checking into availibility and is going to call me back....<><....:)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had the same problem numerous times....cheap part but expensive shipping.

I always shop at Brownells for parts. To offset shipping I browse the catalog and ad "stuff" I don't need right away to my "Wish List". When the time comes and I need a part I order it and then ad a few toys from the wish list to offset the shipping cost.  

As for your roll pin I doubt you will find anything that small in a hardware store. You may be able to use copper wire or picture frame wire and bend the ends over until you can get the right roll pin. At least you'll be able to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
McMaster Carr Of course you have to buy 100...

Won't actually save you any money unless you've got 99 friends with the same problem (or 49 who all want a spare), but by my math thats less than $0.05 each plus shipping. The slotted version is $10 for 500

Really though, I would call up Rainier Arms, PK Firearms, or Del-ton and see if they had one laying around (part is listed as $1 at PK) and make up for the shipping by buying something else to make it worth the trip. Kind of like justifying binge buying by how much you "saved" with the sale prices, but I would hate to pay shipping for just that pin.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 4:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the great responses. At $10 for 500 shipped thats less than one shipped from Brownells. I did not check with PK but I do buy from them so that will get added to the next order for sure. I do have a 1/16" cotter pin in it now that I got at the local hardware store so it is usable...Thanks again to all....<><....:)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top