Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 4:40:17 PM EDT
I live in california right now and i know the gun laws are more strict here.. but in a year im moving out to Georgia.. am i better off building a gun now or later?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You can build it California legal, and when you move to Georgia, make the change to whatever you want.. It might be wise to get your lower NOW rather than wait till the day they shut the door on that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto, Get it now and modify it later.  The Lower Receiver would be the most difficult and expensive AR-15 part to buy if the Clinton Ban should be re-enacted. Prices will skyrocket in a heartbeat.
Spec
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes build now.  You don't know what will happen 1 year from now.  Then when you move here in GA just make minor modifications.  PArts are plenty here (right now but don't know in the future)
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as you use an off list lower build your rifle with a bullet button and 10 round mags and you are good to go in california. When you move to georgia put in a standard mag catch and you will have a normal rifle.  Mark
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Build it now......you can get a lower for less than $100.  Put a $25 bullet-button on it with a 10 shot mag and you are good to go.  Then when you get to GA, you can show your friends the stupid shit we do in Cali.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Not being a smart ass, just really want to know where I can get a lower for under $100
thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not being a smart ass, just really want to know where I can get a lower for under $100
thanks

AIM

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
does anyone have an idea if when this bill will be passed? can i buy the parts online or do i need to goto a dealer?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

thanks

Stag lower for $99

http:///dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15-lower-receivers/stag-stripped-lower-stagstrippedlower-detail.htm

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
does anyone have an idea if when this bill will be passed? can i buy the parts online or do i need to goto a dealer?

It's all conjecture....the fact that there's a democratic white house and congress means it's possible the ban could come back if Dems decide to pursue it...It doesn't mean there WILL be a ban.

Lower receivers are different than all other parts in that they are serialized and thus are treated in a similar manner to buying a complete firearm. You CAN purchase online, but the vendor cannot ship directly to your residence. They must ship a lower receiver to an FFL (ie: a local gun dealer) who then transfers it to you.

Upper receivers, stocks, mags etc can all be shipped directly to your residence.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy the lower and major parts now.  You put them together later.  If there is another run on AR15s, you will have difficulty finding lowers, barrels and stripped.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ditto, Get it now and modify it later.  The Lower Receiver would be the most difficult and expensive AR-15 part to buy if the Clinton Ban should be re-enacted. Prices will skyrocket in a heartbeat.

Spec

+1

I say do this first.  Get however many lowers you think you'll be wanting to build first.  This will help protect your ability to have them down the road as the lower receiver is the only registered part of the AR-15 (read: the possibly banned part).  Once you have the numbers of lowers you'll want/need you can then build at your leisure down the road.  The benefit here is that prices will calm down more by the time you move to Georgia and you if you wait until then to start your builds you won't have to waste money on bullet buttons or short mags you'll never use again once you get to GA.

Right now you could grab lowers for 100$ each from Spike's Tactical (group buy page is still up) or go with the new Anvil Arms bulk buy and get 5 lowers for 85$ (mix and match rifle/pistol lowers too).  This works out very well to get those parts now.  Later you can build custom or buy kits to complete those lowers.

Have fun and be smart with your money,

-Jax

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

AIM

Heads up...AIM doesn't sell lowers to California as far as I know. ColdWarShooters will set you up for 110.00
http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&page=1&sort=3a

Uncle Pauls in Ventura has some nice ones now for 2 for 300. You end ups saving on transfers by getting 2. Because you KNOW you won't stop at one.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top