Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 3:37:14 PM EDT
Hi all -

I've jumped into ARs and I'm gathering parts for my first build. I've done a lot of reading and searching here and elsewhere.

So far I have a Del-Ton lower I picked up at a local show, a Bravo BCG and an ST-T2 heavy buffer from the recent group buy.

I need to find an LPK and decide on a stock (collapsible). I'm planning on picking up a Bravo Co 16" midlength upper when the next batch becomes available. Looking to add a DD Omega Rail to the upper.

I need the receiver extension - how do choose this?

Aside from sights & mags, what am I missing? Thanks.

––-Bill Tuttle
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
LPK with Two Stage Trigger maybe RRA.
Sopmod Stock kit.
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard.
BCM Midlength Upper.
Forged Charging Handle.
Troy Folding Rear Sight.
Pmags.
Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 Rail.
Gear Sector GS2P Sling.
Acog TA11F.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sopmod Stock is probably out of budget right now. Looking at maybe a MOE or CTR.

Also interested in rear iron sights as anything else is also down the road.

Is the Bravo Co charging handle a good one?

––-Bill
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:52:13 AM EDT
[#4]
So far, everything I have ordered from Bravo has been good to go.

Ask me in a couple of days about the charging handle, I have one en route (along with an LMT bolt carrier group).

I'd go with Bravo's mil-spec receiver extension just for the greater selection of stocks later on.  M&A has had mil-spec stock kits for extremely affordable prices, finish is not as good as Bravo, but it's been holding up to my wife's shooting schedule (not a lot of shooting).
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]
On the receiver extension. I notice some say 6 position, etc. Will a mil-spec extension work with any stock that says it's for mil-spec extensions?
Thanks.

––-Bill
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#6]

I'm not an expert, but I seem to recall reading that the bolt, barrel, and barrel extension should be purchased as a group, since the combination of the three determines headspacing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
If the parts are made correctly, then you can buy the bolt separately.

The barrel extension is what determines the headspacing, and that happens when it's installed on the barrel.  Again, if it is done correctly, then any bolt will work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
On the receiver extension. I notice some say 6 position, etc. Will a mil-spec extension work with any stock that says it's for mil-spec extensions?
Thanks.

––-Bill

The 6-position is just number of holes that the stock locks into, and both mil and commercial are available with 6 positions.

Any stock that says it's for mil spec extensions will work with one.  I have noticed that, most of the time, if they don't brag about it being mil-spec in the ad then it's commercial.

Another thing about mil-spec is they are a little shorter than commercial so you get less length of pull.  I prefer it.  Your mileage may vary.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top