Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2009 6:06:27 AM EDT
I'm looking for buttstock suggestions for our home defense carbine. I currently own a 4-position CARS stock that really does nothing for me. I'd like one that's strong, fairly light and fits solid against my shoulder. A couple of the Magpuls look interesting, but I'm actually considering an A1 or A2 stock (they're simple) strongly at this time. I'm 6' tall and have fairly long arms if that makes any difference. Any ideas? BTW, there's no need for battery storage or anything like that; it's strickly for HD. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to be able to square your shoulders to the rifle. I'm 6 feet tall with gorilla arms and only run 5 and 6 pos stocks in the second hole.

I currently have two different ones. The magpul ctr.  It yanks beard hair out, but is a light, solid stock.

I also run a choate M4 stock. It is slightly heavier, but I'm slightly more confident in my ability to break down a brick wall with it.  It's a 5 pos stock with an awesome cheekweld out.  extended all the way it has a slight amount of play (less than my old standard M4 stocks), but close in, it's rock solid.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#2]
ACE Skeleton?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Sully fixed stock...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The CTR (no more beard hair!) and ACE are two I'm looking at, I just haven't found one locally that I can shoot. Do they wiggle around or are they solid feeling? I'm not familiar with either the choate M4 or Sully fixed stocks; I'll try to search for them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The CTR (no more beard hair!) and ACE are two I'm looking at, I just haven't found one locally that I can shoot. Do they wiggle around or are they solid feeling? I'm not familiar with either the choate M4 or Sully fixed stocks; I'll try to search for them.

The CTR damn near feels like a solid stock.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#6]
CTR
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a CTR and it is a large improvment over the standard CAR stock. Great lock up. Not much weight increase for the improvements.
My favorite is the SOPMOD on a 16" weapon (beards like it too).
Have not tried the ACE so I can not comment.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The ACE Entry stock (short version of the Skeleton) on my CMMG is solid as if it were machined from the same billet as the upper receiver. I'm using a 1" pad on the end to get a little more length.  I wouldn't hesitate to swing the stock at someones head if needed and it would land as solidly as a baseball bat.  The only issue I have with the ACE Is the foam is just a little thick and the charging handle drags on it. I think I can get the pistol buffer foam and cut it to size for the Entry stick to eliminate the drag.  My pistol buffer tube from ACE has a thinner foam tube and does not cause the handle to drag.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#9]
If you haven't already, try some different stocks at the local gun shops.
That's the best way to decide...
SpecOps-13
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#10]
The ACE entry sure looks like it could hold its own as a club!  
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
CTR, or UBR if you have the coin and can find one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone using the Magpul ACS?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I used a Cav Arms C1 stock on my last build after figuring out that I set my SOPMOD and M4 stocks at approximately the same LOP as the A1 stock.

I am 5'6" and shoot NTCH.

Get the stock from Fulton Armory with a good buttplate or order it w/o the stock,soft rubber one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Other than Stickman, I haven't seen anyone else with one.  They're not released from manufacturing yet as far as I've seen.  Only a couple people have even received the new buttpad.

I could be wrong though.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than Stickman, I haven't seen anyone else with one.  They're not released from manufacturing yet as far as I've seen.  Only a couple people have even received the new buttpad.

I could be wrong though.

This is correct.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not much of an early adopter when it comes to 'virtual parts', so I'll stick to looking at stocks with a proven track record.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Sopmod.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#18]
To wrap this up, I went with a Magpul CTR.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top