Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2009 5:42:52 AM EDT
I'm sure this has been covered before but I've discovered (or re-discovered) how to take the slop out of 6 position stocks.  Using Devcon Plastic Welder, I put a smooth thin layer inside the tube receiving end of the stock.  Remember that you can always add more later if it is too thin, so don't go overboard.  I only went about 1-1/2 in and avoided getting any in the square channel at the bottom.  I made my applicator out of a used jig saw bit, using a grinder to smooth out the edges.  After waiting for curing, I wrapped a piece of 180 sandpaper around a short stick of 3/4 PVC pipe.  I slowly sanded the inside surface while occasionally testing the fit on my buffer tube.  If there are any high spots, the buffer tube will indicate this by scraping it up when you push on the stock.  Carefully sand these off avoiding the areas that are already fitted.  I doubled over a small piece of sandpaper for my index finger to do this.  Once everything is smooth and carefully fitted, your stock should slide on, slightly tight but not too tight to prevent adjustment.  No wobbles here!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested in this, any chance you can post a picture or two?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Double Tap.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread needs pics! =)
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I will post some pics when I return home this evening.  Sadly though they will be post project pics since I am already finished.  I know, stupid of me to not take progress pics!  I will do the best I can to illustrate the steps.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Devcon Plastic Welder and my improvised applicator

Mix equal amounts for at least 30 seconds

Apply thin layer around inside at least 1-1/2 deep into the tube

Not pretty but who looks inside anyway?

Use the 3/4 PVC pipe and sandpaper to smooth it out after about 2 hours cure

Finger sand the rough spots but be careful not to over do it

Like I said, not pretty but effective

Once you get it fitted tight but loose enough for adjustment...

Get to the range you bums!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool tip, thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Very Cool Fix.. I have one that could use that.

Thanx,
Spec
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Great idea. Much more permanent than what I've been doing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
is that bird alive?
and how do you like the caa cheek piece?
thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

is that bird alive?

thanks for the tip.

Steven, I have one of the CAA additions on my RRA TASC and it works for what it is. I like the extra(though not much)cheek weld you have verses the slim stock variety, and it gives me two small storage compartments for batteries and spare parts. You can usualy find them for about 20 bucks. Let me know if you want some better pics or other info.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
is that bird alive?
thanks for the tip.

The bird is no longer among the living.  I used to raise bobwhite when I was a kid.  My neighbor was an amateur taxidermist.  He stuffed it as a gift to me.  It's held up for over 25 years.  I like the cheek piece just fine.  The "cheek weld" thing they say it emphasises gives it a good feel.  Beware the OD green addition though since it is more green than olive drab.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top