Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2009 11:34:03 PM EDT
decided to build an ar for the old man and have gathered the following.

any missing parts.? pretty sure I gathered up the needed items for another build.
the bolt is assembled.
this pic does not show a rear sight. other than that it should be a complete rifle..
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
looks pretty good
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Awsome.  I did the same for my dad and he was very happy, it was one of those guns he had always wanted but could never really justify buying for himself.  So when i got to a position financially were I could afford it, I decided it was time that he got one.  Here is a pic of the pair I built for us.  (all black one is his)

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there a C-clip for the ejection port cover rod?  That's the only thing I noticed and that's not a show stopper.

It's been a long time since I saw a kit in that state of un-assembly.  I'm surprised the charging handle was assembled.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree, I don't see the C-clip but it's so small it's hard to see, it could also be stuck with another part.

Looks like everything is there, I would recommend getting a spare front pivot takedown detent pin, they're very easy to launch sometimes even if you use a clear plastic bag on top of it.

For extra reliability on carbine gas systems, I would also recommend the spring only of the BCM extractor spring upgrade kit, try out your standard carbine buffer first most usually the H heavy carbine buffer would work better, and use Magpul gen 3 mag followers and/ or Magpul PMAGs.

I built a lower for my dad which was my third lower build and it went very well, I used the Vise Grip pliers method in installing most of the roll pins, and staked the buffer tube castle ring, enjoy your build.

Ref:

BCM Extractor Upgrade Kit - link

AR15.com Parts Diagrams - link

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
You look good to go.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks complete to me.

Quoted:
Looks like everything is there, I would recommend getting a spare front pivot takedown detent pin, they're very easy to launch sometimes even if you use a clear plastic bag on top of it.

Use a clevis pin, you won't have that problem.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Use a clevis pin, you won't have that problem.

Thanks for the advice and it's a good advice to some, I only lost my detent pin on my first build, but I had spares so no problem.

On my second build and for my dad's third build I got good at it by just pushing the pivot pin against the detent pin and installed it in the pivot hole (like a pro).

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
yes the C clip is already on the pin.  this will be my fourth or fifth build.. I have all the tools you could need including the pivot pin installer..
I only Launched  one of those "once" I did get all the parts except the LPK as separate parts, there  was no Kit.  using my C&R
discount meant this was still a cost effective option.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Do yourself and dad another favor and tap the take down detent hole to 4/40 and put a 1/8 inch 4-40 set screw in there (don't forget to clip the spring by an equal amount).  That way every time you take off the receiver rend plate or stock you don't have to worry about kinking or losing the take down detent spring and detent.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top