Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:26:25 PM EDT
I ask because I just put together a DSA lower with a RRA LPK and the safety feels nasty. I just took it apart and everything seems fine but it feels much different than my other lower. The other lower has a hogue grip which does put more pressure on it but when I swap grips the new one still feels bad. Just feels sloppy while the other is nice crisp.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the safety out, apply some grease into the detent channel, and onto the detent.

Then.... Sit around for a few days and work in the safety. Daily, take it apart and re-grease it so you get the grit out.
When I first assembled a DS LPK into a DS LR, the thing was pretty rough... Now... It is smooth. It is almost too smooth... almost.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I just swapped the safeties around and there is a huge difference. Now they are both better for some reason. One is still very stiff because of the hogue grip while the other is super easy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Inspect the channel for any burrs. I got a safety as a replacement for a defective safety once, that had a big burr in it. (The new one had the burr... What luck, huh?)

I had to take a small file and clean up the channel a little.
It isn't perfect but it is better. It is getting better with use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
i hard same problem with one of my magpul grips. the spring would stick out too far and put too much pressure on detent and make a a bit harder to go from safety to fire. I just took some wirecutters and clipped and small piece of spring out to make it regular again. easy fix.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
IDK why but with the hogue grip, the older safety, new detent/spring it feels great. With the A2 grip it is super super smooth but doesn't have much tension. Other setup with a A2 grip, new safety, old spring/detent feels great. I guess I will just leave it this way.

How easy is the safety supposed to be? I have had that hogue grip so long I don't really remember what it was like before.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The variables here are the profile on the selector, i.e., the depth of the grooves and how "sharp" the edges are, the sharpness/roundness of the point of the selector detent, and the degree of preload on the selector spring, which controls how hard the detent is pushed against the selector.

Varying these three things will affect how your safety feels, how much resistance it has moving in and out of position, how much force it takes to change mode, and how positive the feel is.

A well broken in safety will have worn the sharp edges off the
selector, the point off the detent, and will have made the spring a
little more relaxed.

But in a new gun, if the hole in the grip is a little deeper, or the hole in the lower is a little off, it can affect those variables and make the same spring/detent/selector feel different when installed in a different receiver and/or pistol grip.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a safety that has probably seen more flicks than all the rounds I have ever fired through all weapons combined.

I do a lot of dry-fire training with it. That includes using the safety. It gets a ton of use. I have had several people think sometihng was wrong with it... It's just worn in.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
It's the grip.
Buy a hogue for the lower and it will be the same as the other.

I always take a drill bit by hand and work the grip till I get the safety just right with the hogue grip.
The A2 grip has a deaper channel and it gives it a looser feel with the safety.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I snipped the spring a tad for the lower with the hogue grip. I plan on getting a MOE for the new lower so I will try to adjust the safety after I get the grip on. I will leave it as is for now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]
You can also use a fine file to round the top of the detente, trial fit it into the grooves of the safety, get it to fit better with some filing.  In a few minutes of filing, you've done the same as flicking the safety 1000 times to break in the part to each other, and you don't leave behind a bunch metal shavings in the mechanism.  Another QUIB suggested fix.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top