Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:16:43 PM EDT
Was out shooting this weekend at the range and noticed that upon ejection the brass/steel was landing 1 1/2 stations away and rolling under the chain link fence.  Probably about 15-18 feet.  Seemed like a long way to me, but I just started shooting AR's.  I was shooting Brown Bear 62 gr. HP.

I'm shooting the following:
Larue Stealth upper 18"
Young Mfg. NM Chrone M16 BCG - Has black o-ring and 5 turn spring.

So is this normal to have the brass/steel fly this far?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
My HK's sling it into another zip code.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What buffer and buffer spring you using?

18' is a bit excessive, I'd say 6' to 12' is pretty normal. BSW

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Using the following - Mil Spec Carbine Receiver Tube, Spring, and H Buffer.  Normal stuff.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Get one of these:

LINK
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My ar's arent too bad, they keep them in the same zip code.  

I do however have an Fal, that tries to achieve low earth orbit with each shot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My brass usually lands about 10 to 12 feet away, yours really flies out there.

It could be your 5 turn extractor spring, it might be an extra power spring, the most common use for them are on carbine gas systems.

I only use those 5 turn extra power extractor spring on my carbine gas system, on my rifle and midlength gas systems I use the standard 4 turn standard extractor springs and I also use O-rings.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:22:41 AM EDT
[#9]
you can either trim off half or one turn coil of your ejector spring or trim the ejector itself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
you can either trim off half or one turn coil of your ejector spring or trim the ejector itself.

As I recall that will change the direction of the ejection, but not the distance.

Almost sounds like this rifle is overgassed.

OP, any idea what size the gas port hole in the barrel is? BSW
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

mine does too.(HK 91)  You can forget about finding brass .it ejects very far and a different place every shot.I heard they designed it that way so the enemy could not pin point the position you were firing from.It scatters it everywhere.
My AR is a different story it ejects them close to the same spot everytime and then only 4 or 5 feet away.My AR brass is easy to find.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was out shooting this weekend at the range and noticed that upon ejection the brass/steel was landing 1 1/2 stations away and rolling under the chain link fence.  Probably about 15-18 feet.  Seemed like a long way to me, but I just started shooting AR's.  I was shooting Brown Bear 62 gr. HP.

I'm shooting the following:
Larue Stealth upper 18"
Young Mfg. NM Chrone M16 BCG - Has black o-ring and 5 turn spring.

So is this normal to have the brass/steel fly this far?

Dont worry, mine went across county. I ddnt botter to look for the bras! I figured it pobably hit someone on the head, and did not want any law sues. Hehehehehheee
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]
rra complete upper goes 5 '  shooting prone. 2-4 o'clock.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It depends on what I'm shooting.

I use a 9mm buffer In my 16" mid length. With XM193 the brass hits the deflector and lands about four or five feet in front of me about 2 o'clock.

When I use Brown Bear, the empties end up 10 to 12 feet away at about 4 o'clock. I don't think they hit the deflector at all.

Extractor spring strength, buffer weight, buffer spring strength, ammo type and cycle rate(which is effected by a combination of the other things) can effect the ejection pattern.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My old PTR 91 did the same.  An AR shouldn't be doing that though.

About 5 feet away when standing is about where it should hit the ground in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I recall that will change the direction of the ejection, but not the distance.

Almost sounds like this rifle is overgassed.

OP, any idea what size the gas port hole in the barrel is? BSW

No clue what the size is.  All I know is it's a Larue Stealth.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#17]
3-5' at about 2 O'clock. Easy to find. 16" midlength with cardinal forge upper. High power spring with standard buffer. Perfect for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to play "topper," but AKs generally attempt to put their empties into orbit.

At my range, there are VERY large railroad tie dividers between range bays-at least 8 feet tall.  If I'm on the right hand station, my brass flies 6', hits the railroad ties, then bounces back at me.

My AR tosses ".223" load brass about 5-6', and noticeably farther with 5.56 loads.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to play "topper," but AKs generally attempt to put their empties into orbit.

I'll second that!  My 74s will hum steel about 10ports at eye level.  Enough speed to crack a set of safety glasses.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#20]
M193 from my 16" with carbine length gas system gose about 8-10 feet at 2 or 3 oclock.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top