Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:12:55 PM EDT
Hi Guys,

I'm a complete newb when it comes to AR15s. I have looked at the S&W MP15 psx and I like it.
Would I be able to build a similiar gun for cheaper?

Building your own seems like some fun but at the same time I would only do it if there was a cost advantage.

So what would it take to build an MP15 psx with similiar parts and quality?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Building your own seems like some fun but at the same time I would only do it if there was a cost advantage.

If cost is the only reason you would do this I would recommend you make an over the counter purchase. Depending upon how you buy the savings aren't that big if at all, particularly on entry level rifles. The truth is you can buy an assembled rifle in the sub to low $700's (think DPMS Sportical). Putting a complete entry level kit gun together is going to run in the same neighborhood. You can of course take your time, watch the boards, be patient and make some very good buys but the savings won't be significant. If you move into the mid-level rifles you can start to put better parts into the rifle than you will get in a mid-level over the counter rifle for about the same kind of money. The reasons to build an AR are many. Saying you did it, putting the little extra touches on it, learning the idiosyncrasies of the rifle are all good reasons. Cost falls further down the list.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the honest reply.

Cost as far as buying isn't a big concern of mine. But it really is the main reason I would tackle putting something together.

I have far to many hobbies, I just don't have the time unless there is some kind of cost incentive.
For a newb from what I have looked at so far it takes some serious time and effort to read all of differences in parts and understand what benifits they all have.

I think I will just try to find a psx at the next gun show. I've heard by a few few people that bushmasters are also good.

Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Your welcome, I hope my reply didn't discourage you from doing this. There is a greater level of satisfaction that comes from shooting a rifle you have babied together than you will ever receive when shooting an assembled rifle. That said, you can pick an entry rifle and shoot the heck out of it at the same time acquiring the Black Rifle Disease. The next time you look at it, you'll do it. I know that some 20 plus years ago I picked up my first AR, I still have it but only the upper and lower are parts that came on the original rifle. The barrel resides on a different rifle and the stock and handguard sit in a parts box. I have no idea where I have put the trigger or front sight. To look at it you would never guess its age, other than the old design snake roll mark.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top