Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2009 5:35:23 PM EDT
I have a Sun Devil billet lower wich I really like the look of. On top of it sits a Keyhole marked flattop upper.The fit however leaves a little to be desired.
The rear portion of the receiver has little issue its the front portion that has alot of play. I have an Accuwedge in place and there is still alot of movement between the receivers. I know there is a tension screw built into the rear of the lower receiver....I just dont want to have to take off the pistol grip off  to seperate the two halfs.
The real problem appears to be the front takedown area of the lower receiver. The area where the front lug on the upper receiver mates to the lower receiver is just too wide.
Is there a solution to tighten the front lug of the upper receiver to the front takedown pin on the lower receiver??

TIA

Ray
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you have to take off the grip to remove the upper using the tension screw?  Have you tried an o-ring around the front push pin hole?  Works better than an accuwedge.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to adjust the tension screw enough to remove most, if not all, play, without having to remove the pistol grip every time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The Idea behind the screw, is that you mate the upper and lower with the pins in place, then you tighten the screw. After that it should function like any upper/lower combo. The screw just replaces the accu-wedge/o-ring/earplug/chewing gum... etc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I will give it a try tonite. I had read in another thread that using this tension screw made it difficult to seperate the two halves.
I wanted to put the larger backstrap in my MIAD grip anyway...!!

Thanks Ray
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Sun Devil lower with a keyhole forge upper but they are a pretty snug fit.

If you tighten the tension screw all the way, then you can't push out the rear take-down pin. Tighten it up, then back it off in little increments until you can push out the take-down pin. Then leave it at that.

Sorry to hear you have a loose fit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I have the tension screw tight enough to remove the slack....but not so tight that the rear takedown pin wont budge. It really did the trick. I am sorry I didnt utilize it before.

There is still some movement in the front of the receiver but its is minimal now.

Thanks for the input.
Ray
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top