BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2009 10:27:53 AM EDT
I've built all my AR's, but the one part I have always had the
most difficult time with is getting the roll pin into the trigger
guard. It's such a PITA. I've put CLP on it, tried to compress one side
with pliers, etc... is there some secret to it that I am missing?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
In my experience it is the willingness to put enough force on the thing without breaking the ears off of the receiver.  I am nervous about breaking those ears.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Vice Grips or Channel lock pliers with tape-wrapped jaws.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Some have suggested using vise-grip pliers to "squeeze" it in.  I tried that, but it just wasn't working for.  I ended up using a small c-clamp (padded the jaws with a penny) to press it in.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
some people lightly roll a taper into the leading sdge, and others say a rock river arms kit fits better in these parts
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Check there is no flash in the hole.  
You can use a drill bit twisted between your fingers to clean it out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This works like a charm.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Use a block of wood for support under the 'ear', a needle nose pliers to hold the pin, and a ball pein hammer to tap it in.  Works perfectly.

The other option as someone mentioned above is to squeeze it in using a set of pliers.

Either way you do it, do it carefully.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll try some of these methods.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has had roll-pin challenges.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a small round file and file the trigger guard out some it will allow the roll pin to go in easier.The additional pressure is coming from the trigger guard hole being too small.Do not file the receiver .Trigger guard only.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Polish the pins with some 600 grit..chuck them in your drill..Lube the pin and the holes with Tetra grease..Use a roll pin starter punch to hold the pin to start. I use an action block for support. Once started switch to a roll pin punch and hammer away...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Grow a pair and just do it!  Just kidding, this is the method I use:

Quoted:
Use a block of wood for support under the 'ear', a needle nose pliers to hold the pin, and a ball pein hammer to tap it in.  Works perfectly.

The other option as someone mentioned above is to squeeze it in using a set of pliers.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Grow a pair and just do it!  Just kidding, this is the method I use:

Quoted:

+1. I even have a special hammer to assemble lowers. One side has a brass head and the other nylon.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've built all my AR's, but the one part I have always had themost difficult time with is getting the roll pin into the triggerguard. It's such a PITA. I've put CLP on it, tried to compress one sidewith pliers, etc... is there some secret to it that I am missing?

I only use the spring coil pins as opposed to the solid split pins which tend to be oversized.  

I file them at the end and put a taper on them , oil them up and and then I run them through just the trigger guard a few times outside of the lower.    This serves to pre- size them before final assembly.      

Then insert the trigger guard in  the lower,  use more oil, support the trigger guard ears and use a roll pin punch and you should be GTG.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
knipex parallel gripping pliers worked like a charm for me

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I've put literally thousands of these together and never seen or even heard of breaking the ears off until I started reading threads here.   What the heck are guys beating them in with Jackhammers?    

Roll pin starter punch is your friend.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've put literally thousands of these together and never seen or even heard of breaking the ears off until I started reading threads here.   What the heck are guys beating them in with Jackhammers?    

I said the same thing to my friend the other day. I haven't put thousands together but I have assembled dozens. I had never heard of broken ears until I saw it on this forum. Now the thought crosses my mind every time I do this

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Have to support the ears...  bottom one must make contact with the support (I used one of those plastic blocks from brownell's).

I squeeze one end of the roll pin with pliers...  using a LOT of pressure.

I then hold it in place with my left thumb and forefinger, leaving the outside edge of my hand to put pressure on the whole receiver to hold it in position.  Then I begin very light, repeated taps from the brass side of the hammer until the pin goes far enough in to lock the trigger guard into place.  Then I switch to the nylon side and make heavy strikes, checking everything after each strike.

Then I go get some PIE.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Haven't done thousands, but have done scores––-and I agree. Hlonestly, the encouragement on this iste for total mechanical novices to build them selves a high power rifle frankly scares the hell out of me.. Looking at postings in which someone is bragging that he's never fired a rifle, but he just built an AR totally freaks me out. Fortunately, I do my shooting at a strate of Georgia law enforcement range; so I don't have to worry whether the shooter next to me has a properly built AR or a potential explosive device, but I sure do wonder about some of y'all who use public ranges.

In fairness, though, I have seen info that atleast one outfit, DPMS, put out a bunch of parts kits in which the TG pin was several thousanths oversize; which may have caused some of the  problems we've seen posted..
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I always used this and I've always found quite easy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Bash it with a sledge hammer, then you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I use a block of wood underneath and tap it in with a little brass hammer I have.

I may try using a bench vice next time. I figure if I start the pin and then put it all in a padded vice, I can squeeze it together.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1  Works for me.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Small 2x4, 10oz ball peen hammer and roll pin punch.  Just be careful and go slow and it will go right in.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#23]
SECRET???

Wasn't aware of secret... I have a couple hammers laying around and I generally use the one that's closest.

And yes I have over 100 builds under my belt.

Brandon
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
The easiest way I've found is to start it with a roll pin starter punch, then I use a vise with smooth jaws to press it into place...if your vise doesn't have smooth jaws, then tape them so they don't mar the lower receiver finish.  Works every time with a minimum of fuss.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 on pressing it in with a small vise with smooth jaws.  

I'd use my arbor press, but it's too much trouble holding it all straight.  

Making sure the pin will go through the guard off the receiver is good advise, too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, perhaps not thousands on my part but I can't understand the timidity with which a lot of people go about sticking a pin in a hole. I always place the trigger guard between the ears, insert a roll pin punch through the entire assembly to hold it in place, grasp the roll pin with a needle nose and line it up with my last three fingers, hold the punch in place with my index and thumb, and hammer it home with my right hand. Dexterity has it's privileges, or in English, *Lick it till it screams and it'll slide right in!*  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I started mine with a small hammer that had the head covered in electrical tape. Once I got it started, I finished it off with vice-grip's with the jaws wrapped in electrical tape. It wasn't easy, but it was more time consuming than difficult.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Without a doubt, the BEST thing to do is slightly pinch the roll pin closed.  I have done some 20+ lowers this way.  The pin goes in w/o a shit load of beating and resistance, and the pin has NEVER worked its way out.

I also pinch slightly the bolt catch pin, NEVER any issues what so ever.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#29]
To be honest, I just used my fingers to push it in and its fine.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
To be honest, I just used my fingers to push it in and its fine.

Real men swallow the pin with a half pint of Wild Turkey and then stand back a few paces, hock it back up and spit it right into the hole.  Film at 11
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#31]
mine just tapped right in - no problem.  used some tape to hold the guard in line with the holes.  used a RRA LPK.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top