Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2009 7:54:30 PM EDT
Anybody here checked these out yet?

A AR-15 9mm style 80% complete lower with no mag well adapter needed and a Sten mag model for Olympic pistol caliber uppers!  No more adapters or funky mags!  These are not complete and it looks like the fire control pocket needs to be machined out/fcg holes drilled.  But hey, what a perfect idea.

It's the bottom posting from this thread over at cncguns.com

AR-15 9mm... titanium ejector?

and AR-15 Sten
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
pretty awesome, but you are lookin at 5-600 bucks if you buy their jigs and drill bits for completing the lower vs a 100 lower and a 60 dollar adapter.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
pretty awesome, but you are lookin at 5-600 bucks if you buy their jigs and drill bits for completing the lower vs a 100 lower and a 60 dollar adapter.

I believe we're in the "build it yourself" section not the "assemble it yourself" section...

Plus, all 80% projects are more expensive but the novelty is worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Or you send it to Thompson Machine and pay $80 for him to finish it for you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In which case it now cannot be sold back to you.  Look into 80% lowers and the law regarding someone else finishing the project for you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that Thompson Machine is licensed....

We are a Federally licensed 07 manufacturer and SOT

Thompson machine web site
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
From  Thompson site above: (short version: Type 07 FFL & SOT).

Thompson Machine is a Florida based company specializing in the design and manufacturing of firearms and firearms related products.

We have over 20 years direct involvement in the firearms industry . We have a complete CNC machine shop for rapid prototyping and are here to help you with any firearms related design work.

We are a Federally licensed 07 manufacturer and SOT.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Plus, all 80% projects are more expensive but the novelty is worth it in my opinion.

Oh yeah...  Has anyone ever seen a dedicated sten mag model?  I've seen adapters... both home made and commercial but not dedicated.  And for the AR-15, I've only seen Colt who pinned through the standard lower and RRA offer a dedicated 9mm version and the plethora of drop in, screw in, fall out adapters...  But NEVER a dedicated model for the partially completed market until these.

If you are looking for uniqueness at the range or with your buddies...  I don't think you'll run across anybody with one of these.

Seen these pics?
sten lower photos
Look at that mag well opening...
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
...so this is similar to OlyArms' dedicated Glock lowers, but for Sten mags?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe that Lone Wolf is coming out with a AR-45...Thats gonna be fun..
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In which case it now cannot be sold back to you.  Look into 80% lowers and the law regarding someone else finishing the project for you.

I know what the law is.  They can sell it back to you, it's just a firearm now and has to go through an FFL.  Defeats the purpose of a standard 80% lower, but for novelty stuff (like these and the AR45) the only way to get them is having a third party complete them, if you don't have the necessary tools or time to complete an 80%.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds interesting.

The fire control portion of an 0- 80% seems to be the most difficult.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds interesting.

The fire control portion of an 0- 80% seems to be the most difficult.

I don't know how hard it could be... looks like this jig allows you to drill/mill it out with a drill press.  CNCGUNS tools page  or, like what was said earlier in this post, send it off to Thompson Machine if you've got zero skills.

Looked around and after reading a lot it sounds like a little time with some tunes playing and the ~significant other~ leaving you alone you could get it done in an afternoon.  That sounds reasonable.  I've seen the postings of guys going the 0% builds but an 80%... a lot less for me to screw up!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
These are amazing lowers, I have a sten model and the machine work on it is absolutely beautiful. I'm hoping to dig into it this weekend if I find time.

One thing thats much different than those oly conversions is that this uses a mag release thats in the same position as the standard AR mag release, it also doesn't require any modification to the mags, just pop them in and go.

Its a pretty sweet setup. I've heard of people shooting .40, and .45 hollow points thorough it. I am thinking about making a .45 ACP upper soon, if I do I'll first short chamber it and shoot up all my .45 GAP with this lower.

Jon
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I see they also have matching un-anodized A3 style uppers.  No gas port on one.  Makes sense with the 9mm lower I guess.

cncguns upper link

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top