Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 11:35:28 AM EDT
im gonna be buying either a 20 inch upper for long range shooting and varmint hunting or just buy a new rifle, what would be better to do buy a new rifle or just a new upper, the lower is perfectly fine, what is your guys opinions. my main shooting will be out to 300 yards what would be better just a 16 inch upper or a 20 inch upper both with a scope  what would better for targets out to 300
this is my current configuration for plinking and general use.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends;  do you want one or two rifles?  Me?  I think uppers get lonely without lowers.

As for length, it's not going to have a real impact on accuracy as long as the barrel is good.  I'm finishing up part purchasing for my "precision" build and dropped a pretty dime on a Noveske 18" SPR barrel.

If accuracy is your purpose, you really need to spend the bucks on that barrel or it'll all be for naught.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#2]
buy a larue steath upper.  Money well spent.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I think your best bet would be to dump that NC Star scope and get a good scope.  Then see what your current upper will do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
As Fred said...uppers breed lowers
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

of course, it also works the other way as well
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

arrg
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

3?!  howd that happen? *sigh*
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with a new rifle only not 5.56, maybe 6.8 or 6.5?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

3?!  howd that happen? *sigh*

Fosters, Mate??????
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top