Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice! Great job!
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Great job.   I have always liked the forward charging handle like the HK's have.  I think its so much easier to use than the AR's normal one.  Im sure this is a stupid question but is there any reason you couldnt have cut the carrier back and used the standard gas tube?  Then just use some other method of moving the carrier.  Maybe have a vented tube surrounding the gas tube to push the carrier back.  I just wasnt sure if it was a weight issue or just simplicity (i use that loosely since it looks like you put allot of thought in it).  

Anyway great work! Its good to see people doing stuff like this.

All the more reason to have a true "make" it yourself forum on here where we can really get down and discuss projects like this.      

Admin?
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow that is awesome! I love it. I've always hated how AR pistols had the buffer tube, this is. Wow. I'm at a loss for words.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great job.   I have always liked the forward charging handle like the HK's have.  I think its so much easier to use than the AR's normal one.  Im sure this is a stupid question but is there any reason you couldnt have cut the carrier back and used the standard gas tube?  Then just use some other method of moving the carrier.  Maybe have a vented tube surrounding the gas tube to push the carrier back.  I just wasnt sure if it was a weight issue or just simplicity (i use that loosely since it looks like you put allot of thought in it).  

Anyway great work! Its good to see people doing stuff like this.

All the more reason to have a true "make" it yourself forum on here where we can really get down and discuss projects like this.      

Admin?

The standard gas tube is not straight, so you would be hard pressed to get a recoil spring system around it.  I DID consider using a larger OD spring around the barrel, but then you get into offset/bending forces in the key and other components...
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Until now i've been running a trimmed continuous length spring from McMaster-Carr (tried several rates) as the return spring, but it's occasionally less than happy if i let it get dirty because there was not much spring preload.  This could cause the bolt to not go completely into battery after bouncing slightly, which would not allow the round to fire.  Got to looking around for a replacement that would allow more preload without bottoming out at the end of travel.  So i picked up my Remington 7400 (30-06), pulled the forend, and behold, the perfect action spring!  Got on midway and ordered a couple (~$4each) put one in, unmodified, and ran 60 perfect rounds through it, including a little bump firing, which was...exciting...  Doesn't seem to be battering the delrin bolt bumper excessively either, but i may eventually tig on a flange on the rear of the carrier so that more than just the two shortened "legs" strike the bumper, which i could see eventually eating into it.  Suffice to say, i'm even happier with it now!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, I just came on here doing some research into buffelress AR systems, and here is this thread!

Fantastic work you did there, and I am impressed you did the math to back it up first.  Your commentary (and some of the problems you ran into after checking the math) correlate to what i have found in my research and calcs.

Dawg
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
You Sir, are an artist.

Nice job!
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
How much $ ????????????????? for that copy?
everything has a price..............................
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
How can you make lots of money with it? If you install 100% lower you can probably sell it for 10K as curio and relic.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#11]
New pics added to album with Vortex and light rail and some obvious wear on the finishes.  I knew it wouldn't stay pretty for long..  BTW, there is no more fireball :)

Album

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I know this thread is old but that is an amazing piece of work! I've been thinking about/wishing for a bufferless AR pistol and you went ahead and built one Very, very cool!
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, need to get some more videos up.  This thing cycles fast and is so light that bumpfiring is craaaazy.  I don't do that at the range...  and ammo is expensive...
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#14]
OST

that sir is the best AR pistol i've seen in a long while
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#16]
awesome
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#17]
cool!
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#18]
nice, I want one
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#19]
That is very nice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm currently gathering parts for a similar build in 6.8 (eventually to be an SBR).  That way i can swap between 5.56 and 6.8 on the same SBR lower with a folding ACE stock.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#21]
do you think you could post a video of you disassembling it and reassembling?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
do you think you could post a video of you disassembling it and reassembling?

Maybe, but don't wanna give away TOO much quite yet...
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there any reason you couldn't use a standard charging handle?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Wouldn't fit over the beefy gas key...
ZM got around it by using a custom-forged upper receiver with a raised rail, as well as using a custom charging handle with a wider stem...
I wanted to base it off of a standard-height receiver, and as-is, the receiver has to be clearanced in the charging handle slot to fit the gas key...
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wouldn't fit over the beefy gas key...
ZM got around it by using a custom-forged upper receiver with a raised rail, as well as using a custom charging handle with a wider stem...
I wanted to base it off of a standard-height receiver, and as-is, the receiver has to be clearanced in the charging handle slot to fit the gas key...

Kinda what I figured. I really like what you have done but, It would be way cool to make the standard handle work. I'd like to mess around with a setup like this for my ar 45 pistol when I get it complete. I just wanna make it run on a standard buffer before I go throwing other items and potential problems into the mix.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Yea, i considered building my AR45 as a folding SBR, but i built it as a gas-operated system, and the gas block is right in front of the barrel nut, so the only system that could work would be an Oly over-the-top action spring (kinda clunky if you ask me).  Blowback pistol caliber uppers would need the weight of a full bolt carrier / buffer to cycle without battering themselves apart.  That may be the next challenge after my 6.8 build... :)
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#27]
What an incredible build.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Very Nice!  Me likey!

Have you considered using an HK style charging handle/latch for this project?  
Seems like it would be less of a hassle modifying that system than scratch building the AR style latch.

Joat
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for bumping this from the Archives JOAT. This is great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Bumpity Bump

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#31]
AWESOME DUDE! It kind of looks like an MP5. You should do the same thing again, but put a folding stock on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#32]
It's coming, in 6.8 SPC....

Will be sending off for a SBR stamp soon to add a folding stock.

Quoted:

AWESOME DUDE! It kind of looks like an MP5. You should do the same thing again, but put a folding stock on it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone else see a slight resemblance to an Mp5?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OST

that sir is the best AR pistol i've seen in a long while EVER

Fixed it... for me at least!

Seriously, that is Awesome!
Great Job!

If you want to build another 556 upper... IM me or email, I'd be interested in buying one!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait to see that!!!! I've always thought it'd be cool to have a compact folding-stocked AR, like an MP5 with balls!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't wait to see that!!!! I've always thought it'd be cool to have a compact folding-stocked AR, like an MP5 with balls!

Thanks,  the Robinson XCR SBR is close, but it's kinda pricey....

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,  the Robinson XCR SBR is close, but it's kinda pricey....

Wow I never knew about those, they look pretty darn nice... but they sure are pricey!
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#38]
bump to save from archives

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top