Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2008 7:59:43 PM EDT
I cant stand the non magnetic slotted head pistol grip screws found in most parts kits.

I prefer the black, magnetic hex/allen head screws. Problem is most parts suppliers dont specify which type they sell.

I know Armalite uses an allen head screw.
Colt uses a slotted head screw.

Brownells has DPMS, High Standard and ITT(?) brand grip screws. Anyone have a Brownells part number for a confirmed allen head grip screws?
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The Model 1 Sales LPK has the hexhead screw in their grip.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You can order them through most local ACE hardware stores.  I don't know about being magnetic but I guess you could magnetize them.  Size is Cap Screw, 1/4 x 28 x 1 inch.  I bought two boxes of 25 for about $11 a couple years ago if I recall the price correctly but don't hold me to it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a RRA LPK from Pete at Legal Transfers and it came with a HEX head screw. But you should be able to find a replacement at ANY decent hardware store. AS said before it is just a 1/4-28 by 1" socket head cap screw which is a standard 1/4" FINE thread.

http://www.ar15sales.com/index.htm

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=125&t=283091

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 2:47:20 AM EDT
[#5]
hardware store 1/4 x 28 x 1" hex head is another solution
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Socket head 1/4-28 x1" screws

For people that do not want to leave the house...
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can order them through most local ACE hardware stores.  I don't know about being magnetic but I guess you could magnetize them.  Size is Cap Screw, 1/4 x 28 x 1 inch.  I bought two boxes of 25 for about $11 a couple years ago if I recall the price correctly but don't hold me to it.

I think the OP misspoke about the magnetic part.

I've never seen a magnetized screw for an PG, however all the black oxide ones are ferrous and attracted to a magnet.

Good quality stainless steel screws like most of the slotted ones used in LPKs are not ferrous and therefore aren't able to be magnetized.

That being said, a lot of 'stainless-steel' that is starting to show up on the market is low grade crap from Asia that does
demonstrate ferrous properties such as the ability to be magnetized and will corrode easier than it should.

Gonna buy stainless fasteners at your local hardware store?

Take a magnet...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top