Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2008 3:10:50 PM EDT
Sharing the wealth––I'd been looking for a while:

Sabre Barrel
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one of these from BCM two weeks ago.  It came in and was able to shoot it last weekend at an indoor range.  It ate everything (~100 rds) I fed it:  Lake City and a bunch of my crappy reloads.  I might test accuracy next weekend at an outdoor range.

I'm starting to be a Sabre junkie .... my third one so far.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks....................ordered
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to be an ass but,

1) What does SD do that warrants the price above a BushMaster barrel kit @ $255.00?

2) Yes, I buy gun rags like crack... and not one SD article had someone behind the trigger that could shoot worth a shit or SD barrels are worse than any Shaw barrel that I have used.

3) I've always wanted to believe in the SD majic for a few of my builds but da-da-damn they don't even come out of the woodwork with their own shooting rep. to counter what the gun rags post for groups.

Please send me to websites that counter what the gun rags have shown me about SD: High Priced & Below Average Groups.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Just offering it up as an option in this time of scarce parts.  Looks like a few folks are willing to spend a little extra to get something that's in-stock.

As far as Sabres being worth more than the other guys, I'll throw out a few things that might make people want to pay a few more bucks.

- They recently won a contract with the military to build M4s.  I'd guess it wasn't for being the lowest bidder.  They are the only company besides Colt and FN to be awarded a military contract for M-16 type rifles.

- According to their literature, SD Rifles feature 100% Mil Spec components:  Hardcoat anodized receivers made from forged 7075 T6 alloy, choice of Chrome Moly Vanadium Mil-B11595 alloy phosphate coated barrels, and forged front sights

- They manufacture the important parts of their rifles in-house and are ISO 9001-2000 certified (repeatable processes and consistency).

- Steyr selected Sabre to build the domestic AUG for them

- The cool logo

I'm not saying these are all great reasons to spend $124 more for a SD Barrel, but there's more to the game than accuracy which seems to be all you're focused on.  I typically discount the accuracy reports from the gun magazines anyway.  Unless you take the shooter out of the equation, there's too much variance to trust someone's 5, 10, 20, or whatever shot group.  I think you'll find plenty of folks on this board that have produced sub MOA groups from Sabre Rifles.

As far as the gun rags, I mostly read them for the pictures.  I believe they select their articles based on the amount of ad revenue the various companies are sending their way.  The one exception in my opinion is SWAT.  So far, they seem like straight shooters.

Maybe you missed this article on the front page of the Board:  

SWAT Article
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I ordered one of these the other day from PKFirearms for $66 more, but they were throwing in a free attached A3 upper.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#7]
glazer1972,

Agree that was the better deal––I don't think they lasted long however.

I saw someone post that PK had an option to add a RRA bolt group for around $105.  If they actually had the BCGs in stock, that would have been an even better deal.

Did you get yours yet?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just offering it up as an option in this time of scarce parts.  Looks like a few folks are willing to spend a little extra to get something that's in-stock.

As far as Sabres being worth more than the other guys, I'll throw out a few things that might make people want to pay a few more bucks.

- They recently won a contract with the military to build M4s.  I'd guess it wasn't for being the lowest bidder.  They are the only company besides Colt and FN to be awarded a military contract for M-16 type rifles.

- According to their literature, SD Rifles feature 100% Mil Spec components:  Hardcoat anodized receivers made from forged 7075 T6 alloy, choice of Chrome Moly Vanadium Mil-B11595 alloy phosphate coated barrels, and forged front sights

- They manufacture the important parts of their rifles in-house and are ISO 9001-2000 certified (repeatable processes and consistency).

- Steyr selected Sabre to build the domestic AUG for them

- The cool logo

I'm not saying these are all great reasons to spend $124 more for a SD Barrel, but there's more to the game than accuracy which seems to be all you're focused on.  I typically discount the accuracy reports from the gun magazines anyway.  Unless you take the shooter out of the equation, there's too much variance to trust someone's 5, 10, 20, or whatever shot group.  I think you'll find plenty of folks on this board that have produced sub MOA groups from Sabre Rifles.

As far as the gun rags, I mostly read them for the pictures.  I believe they select their articles based on the amount of ad revenue the various companies are sending their way.  The one exception in my opinion is SWAT.  So far, they seem like straight shooters.

Maybe you missed this article on the front page of the Board:  

SWAT Article

Thnks t2y!!! You just had to answer my post in a thoughtful, kind and informative manner.

YOU JUST MADE ME SEND PAUL OVER $500.00 YOU SNARKIN BASTAGE.

Thank you.  The site is better having you as a member.

God Bless.

BTW, it's mate is a new/unused LMT upper receiver from one of AR15Barrels.com's take-down projects and a BCM M16 BCAssembly.

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
glazer1972,

Agree that was the better deal––I don't think they lasted long however.

I saw someone post that PK had an option to add a RRA bolt group for around $105.  If they actually had the BCGs in stock, that would have been an even better deal.

Did you get yours yet?

I did add the RRA BCG and a CH to it.  I ordered on the 20th.  It didn't ship till the 23rd.  It is supposed to be here on the 30th.

I would have prefered a M16 BCG but figured what the heck, I can always get one later.

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]
DaveS,

Thanks!  We must all still be in the Holiday spirit.  It's refreshing when a thread doesn't turn into personal attacks and bashing.

Some of the stuff that goes on around here
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DaveS,

Thanks!  We must all still be in the Holiday spirit.  It's refreshing when a thread doesn't turn into personal attacks and bashing.

Some of the stuff that goes on around here

I'm a bourbon man, but let me drink two glasses of Merlot {for my heart} and my evil twin logs on!

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got my ship confirmation
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top