Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 7:03:55 PM EDT
I just got a brand new LMT 16" upper from Quantico, both left and right side have about an inch and a half long scratch on each side of the barrel in front of the sight post. the scratch on the right side is a little deeper, not a gash but you can see chrome underneath. All look like storage marks from rubbing together. Is this fixable? how do you fix it? Should I contact Quantico and send it back? Thx
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a ghetto way of touching up a scratch use a Sharpie, if not try buying a Flat Black marker.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Birchwood Casey makes an Aluminum Black that works great. I'm not a big fan of Sharpies, they're too easy to see.

It's in a bottle and I put it on with Q-tips.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
put a scratch on the other side, that way its matching...

its a gun, shoot it...its not a car you dont wax it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I "fixed" the scratches by tromping through the woods varmint hunting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Testors flat black matches the stag finish perfectly! Once it fully dries its an exact match! I had 2 nicks from driving in the trigger guard pin and you cant even tell where they were now, it fills really well.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
put a scratch on the other side, that way its matching...

its a gun, shoot it...its not a car you dont wax it.

I "fixed" the scratches by tromping through the woods varmint hunting.

Amen, brothers! Listen to these guys. Scratches, dings, and nicks give your rifle character and let everyone know your stuff is not a "safe queen". Mine gets thrown on the ATV, drug down the river, through the brush, etc.....and it still shoots everytime I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Touch Up Pen
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
The scratces are on the barrel, right?

Then a bluing pen will help touch it up.  Just degrease the area you wan to touch up.  Rub the Birchwood Casey bluing pen on it.   Then use a rag with some CLP or gun oil on it to keep the bluing from rusting up the barrel.  (bluing is just controlled rusting)

Then shoot the heck out of it.  Once you get past the first scratches the rest are easier to accept.

Alluma Black is great for touching up the receiver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top